2015 GMC key fob

I am replacing  a key fob for my '15 GMC and see that they are available in all black or with chrome trim.  One parts person at my dealership person thinks they are not interchangeable and one suspects the difference may just be cosmetic.  I won't know until the mechanic programs it to my truck. My SLE came with all black but I would prefer the bling!  Does anyone know for sure?

I would think they are interchangeable and here’s why...that being said don’t just take my word for it lol

I was in the opposite camp back when I bought my LTZ midnight edition. My salesman had a stack of keys on his desk and when he handed me mine the trim on the fob was chrome. I said “bob, what’s it gonna take to key one of those all black fobs like the ones over there? I’m buying a midnight because I hate chrome”

He just chuckled and said “well if you really want one I’m sure I can get them switched out if you’re telling me it’s a deal breaker. But keep in mind they are noticeably different in build quality.” He reaches over and hands me an all Black fob. He was right! They are noticeably lighter and feel a little cheaper. He told me Chevy uses the chrome unit in upper trim levels because people who spend 50k+ on a vehicle don’t want to feel like anything is flimsy. I’d argue GM should worry more about the paint and clear coat than a key fob but that’s a conversation for another day [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I am replacing  a key fob for my '15 GMC and see that they are available in all black or with chrome trim.  One parts person at my dealership person thinks they are not interchangeable and one suspects the difference may just be cosmetic.  I won't know until the mechanic programs it to my truck. My SLE came with all black but I would prefer the bling!  Does anyone know for sure?

they are interchangeable I only got one with my 2015 Colorado I bought used last month ,they said the lot boys lost the other one  so they paid for a new key  but I had to provide the new remote so I bought one on e/bay in the chrome  and it works perfect  they payed to get it programed , I only paid thirty dollars for it with free shipping   definitely better looking than the cheap black one  that came with my 15 Colorado, just make sure if you order it from e/bay you check if it is compatible with your truck

56 minutes ago, m3n00b said:

Man these are the worst fobs. My truck is 18months old with 12k miles and my 97 bmw's fob is in better shape.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The key fobs from my '00 Silverado and '09 Sierra were in great shape when I traded in these trucks.  After two years of use with my '15 Sierra key fob the symbols are wearing off and the fob looks in rough shape.  My dealer  (warranty) is covering the cost of replacement.  I doubt the chrome ones are any more durable but they do look sharp when new, imo.

Definitely interchangeable. I bought my Silverado slightly used from a GMC dealer. The truck only had one key and fob, so they offered to throw in a second. My spare fob is just like the GMC one pictured above lol

Archived