Gorehamj

Former GM Vice Chairman On Autonomous Cars "Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road..."

On 11/8/2017 at 8:21 AM, Gorehamj said:

What say you GM-Trucks.com faithful? Give the article a read and poke holes in it if you think it is off-base. 

I believe he is absolutely on the money with this. Look how fast technology has come into our lives already it's in the cards that this is the way of the future. Does anyone think for a moment that the guy that rode the horse or drove the buggy ever thought the end would come in that the car would actually take over the horse and buggy or where are they now. This is the future and the way the human race is evolving I'm not happy about it because I also love to drive I have old Vehicles vintage vehicles that I like to take in My worry is will I be able to do that in the future certainly for a while but eventually we will be muscled out and it will all be rideshare I need a car and I'll just call it up it'll be at my door within a few minutes it won't be mine but I'll be renting it my family and I'll get in it will go to where we need to be the cars along move off to a parking spot of some sort when somebody needs one they just call it up and they come and deliver them where they need to go. Sounds crazy? Perhaps, I don't think so though.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, Loco-diablo said:

I agree.. NEVER in our lifetime

Didn't a couple of chicks say that to Charles Manson?

10 hours ago, Mad Max said:

FU chump

And what good will that do.

Want to start a civil war?  Forget about guns, take away my car and you take away my freedom!    I enjoy driving my car, and I do not want an autonomous thing to do it for me.  

• Like 3

SO.... I’m allowed to get hammered at the bar, hop in my new fangled automatic car, tell that somabitch to bring me home and take a nap in the back seat on the way?? I mean, I can see how it might be useful. But who is at fault if my computer car knocks down the neighbor’s mailbox if I’m alseep in the back seat? 

• Haha 1

There is NO chance I will give up my ZR1 or any of my other vehicles and whom ever thinks people who love to drive will follow this crap is dead wrong.  If your life is that busy that you need time to work, sleep or do your homework while travelling you need help.  Driving downtown in any big city takes time and if you think an autonomous vehicle will get you where you need to be any  quicker with any less frustration you're dreaming!  I'll keep my cars just the way they are.  I actually enjoy driving.  Just try to take my vehicles away!

• Like 1

What a nut job. One thing I do believe in the near future is that vehicles are only going to able to go as fast as the road allows, hell the roads posted speed limit is already in a GPS devise on each road traveled. Speed limit on a road that is 45mph and the vehicle will only go 50mph max, that I can see coming as its already there but not tied into the vehicle. 

Edited by Silverado4x4

On 11/13/2017 at 4:01 PM, NiteOwl99 said:

I believe he is absolutely on the money with this. Look how fast technology has come into our lives already it's in the cards that this is the way of the future. Does anyone think for a moment that the guy that rode the horse or drove the buggy ever thought the end would come in that the car would actually take over the horse and buggy or where are they now. This is the future and the way the human race is evolving I'm not happy about it because I also love to drive I have old Vehicles vintage vehicles that I like to take in My worry is will I be able to do that in the future certainly for a while but eventually we will be muscled out and it will all be rideshare I need a car and I'll just call it up it'll be at my door within a few minutes it won't be mine but I'll be renting it my family and I'll get in it will go to where we need to be the cars along move off to a parking spot of some sort when somebody needs one they just call it up and they come and deliver them where they need to go. Sounds crazy? Perhaps, I don't think so though.

I think he's drinking too much kool-aid.

The horse and buggy did not come to an end.  It was a "non-starter" for 99% of the population as cars got more popular - but those horse and buggies are NOT outlawed.  Or you've never been around an Amish or Mennonite community.  Still driven - still on major state highways (although illegal on the interstate).  Around my area, there's usually a car hitting a horse and buggy about once a year.  That's a 65-70mph collision with horse and buggy.  Not pretty.

[opinion_mode_on]

As a professional software developer, I've written code for 44-45 years now (I was a teenage geek), variety of systems, languages (including a couple AI languages).  I don't believe AI will be able to catch up to humans any time soon.  Oh yeah, simple stuff, some basic acrobatics (running/leaping robots), but you do realize that the AI now being used in a vehicle is already programmed to possibly destroy either the occupant(s) or the pedestrian(s) don't you?  There simply comes a point in time that a decision has to be made - who lives, who dies?  Maybe you didn't hear about it - but Microsoft had a real issue with their AI.  Because of the input - it was taught to be racist in less than a day https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/24/microsoft-silences-its-new-a-i-bot-tay-after-twitter-users-teach-it-racism/.

Honestly - who isn't prejudiced?  Whether religion, economic, sex, race, whatever - EVERYONE has a degree of prejudice.  So - who is going to program that AI?  While it might learn - it has to start with a seed of intelligence from someone.  And even if we presume it is self-teaching - it still starts with the basics, and like my rule of teachers or consultants - they cannot teach you more than they know.  So - who was the AI teacher?  IQ of 120? 90?  200?  How much you trust that person?  What country are they from?  Doesn't matter?  Well, I've dealt with several foreign developers, and while talented, their perspective - due to environmental factors/race/etc. - is QUITE different than ours (American).  Things I wouldn't have to give much thought about with a developer from the US - I have to go into excruciating detail to be sure some simple thing Americans all take for granted in how the software should function - would be left out by many foreign developers.

Before we worry about self-driving cars - how about an autonomous soldier?  Able to fire back at the "enemy"?  Anyone brave/stupid enough to start there?  I mean, it's a battlefield, much more "confined" area than driving all over the country.  If you don't have enough confidence to do that - you really think AI will self-drive cars flawlessly?  Even without humans on the road?

Honestly - when AI can write a simple piece of code that is flawless, has NO vulnerabilities, NO bugs, is perfect in every way - then I might be worried.  Or, better yet, stick your code through an AI, and have it tell you all the problems so you can fix it (yes, there are "lint" type programs that can detect some of those things - but today's emphasis are languages that put "training wheels" on developers in an attempt to keep them from harming themselves).  I think any thought of that happening in 10-20 years is a pipe dream.

[/opinion_mode_off]