Suspension options - different ride height?

EaZ8

i have a 14 Sierra SLE Crew 4x4 and im curious if anyone knows if there are different part numbers for the 1500 leaf springs?
every time im next to another Sierra and Silverado mine seems a solid 2 inches lower stock vs stock.
i had 255/70/17 stock tires before and ya they are the smallest so that accounts for a little but im now on LT285/70/17 Duratracs and im sitting about even with my dads 18 SLE 4x4 extended cab, he is on stock 275/55/20s.

my front end is lower too but im thinking that the aluminum control arms make the front end sit lower...thats my only guess.

anyone have any info on ride height of non z71 packaged 4x4s?

On 11/9/2017 at 9:59 AM, Donstar said:

Take a tape measure and compare.  Looks can be deceiving.  If your truck is truly two inches lower, check to see if any modifications were made by previous owners.

my dads, mine and my friends are all bought at the same dealership and all original  owners.

my friends and my dads are both on 20" stock wheels and tires and i would say they sit even... i just dont understand how mine sits soo low.

mind you, with my new tires im probably even..

On 11/12/2017 at 5:05 PM, Donstar said:

What is the difference in height from the ground to the fender between you and your dad's truck?  The diameter of the stock wheel/tire combinations should be approximately the same.

stock wheels are off in measurements, by a solid inch, mind you getting a 17" and a 22" so be the same overall isnt that easy..i just think they undersized the stock 17s too much...275/70/17 would have made everything a lot closer and 275/65/18 IMHO

here are the stock sizes and measurements

255/70/17 = 31.1 (mine)

265/70/17 = 31.6 (work truck chrome steelies)

265/65/18 = 31.5 (Z71 i believe)

275/55/20 = 31.9 (my dads elevations and my friends WT have these)

285/45/22 = 32.1 (had another buddy with a 15 that had these and his sat a lot higher than mine)

so i got a chance to go side by side with my friends 100% stock 2016 silverado and i see a difference in the rear leaf spring, mine all 3 leafs are touching each other, i have about 50 lbs in the box and his the lower leaf has about a 1cm spacing before it contacts the middle leaf, i also looked at my dads 2018 and his has the same gap in the leaf springs. these are both extended cabs with the 20" oem wheel option, the 2018 has electronic 4x4 and is a elevation..i dont think its quite a SLE though interior is very basic like a WT..manual seats, no SWC.. and my friends 2016 is a WT.

i also went side by side with a 100% stock crew cab 2016 sierra SLE and it sits the same height mine did before i put my bigger tires on, so currently i sit about the height of the plastic wheel well trip higher just because of my tires.

i dont think there is a issue with my truck, im just thinking that the WT trim packages have a beefier suspension package than the SLE with the stock 17s.

im going to swing by a local dealership and take a peak at a couple when i get a chance.

with my new tires being a 32.7" (duratrac and ive read they run a little bigger) and my buddies silverado with a 31.9, both similar weight in the box, both with the same tonneau cover on my mirrors look about a inch higher so my front is taller but the box of his truck is sitting about 3/4 inch taller than mine.

im going to take some actual measurements this week, but because tire sizes cause a ride height difference im going to measure from leaf spring to frame.

his truck feels like a firmer ride and ive always thought it was because of the bigger and wider tires but now im on 10 ply LT tires ( E rated duratracs i read are 10 ply??) that are stiff and mine still feels smoother, and now i can see a difference in the leaf springs.

Edited by EaZ8

1 hour ago, EaZ8 said:

stock wheels are off in measurements, by a solid inch, mind you getting a 17" and a 22" so be the same overall isnt that easy..i just think they undersized the stock 17s too much...275/70/17 would have made everything a lot closer and 275/65/18 IMHO

here are the stock sizes and measurements

255/70/17 = 31.1 (mine)

265/70/17 = 31.6 (work truck chrome steelies)

265/65/18 = 31.5 (Z71 i believe)

275/55/20 = 31.9 (my dads elevations and my friends WT have these)

285/45/22 = 32.1 (had another buddy with a 15 that had these and his sat a lot higher than mine)

The height difference generated between 31.1" and 32.1" is 1/2".

12 hours ago, Donstar said:

The height difference generated between 31.1" and 32.1" is 1/2".

Yes and no.. Softer sidewalls on the 17s because they are smaller rims ans bigger sidewalls allows for more flex/ compression.

Unweighted height difference woukd be .5 inch.

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2017 at 11:27 AM, EaZ8 said:

I got it bran new, first and only owner.

Stock Blocks are in there

This is an old post, but did you ever find out what the issue was?  I have a similar issue, almost zero gap in between overload spring and leaf pack.  

• 5 months later...

I have been seeking new shocks for my 2014 Crew cab Z71 4x4. I have been asked several times if I have the ZO3 suspension package. Apparently it is 3" higher than the others but I do not know how to tell if I have it or not and just what it is. I have factory installed Rancho shocks and my window sticker says Z71 Off Road Suspension Package. There is about a 1- 1/2" block between the leafs and top of the axle so it does not appear to be a 3" lift and I still have no idea which shocks I need!