Is it possible to add the Blind Spot Monitor?

I've had my 2016 Sierra SLT for a couple months now and I love the truck.  The SLT I bought has most every option that I wanted in a truck but it does not have the blind spot monitor and I really wish it did.  Just wondering if that is something that is possible to add?  Maybe the sensors are already there and I just need the mirrors and a fuse?  Just curious.  Not the end of the world but if it's something that could be added I would look into doing that.

I read an article about a year ago that made me realize I had my mirrors adjusted incorrectly. Ever since I did so, it’s helped tremendously. I know it’s not an answer to your question, but it’s made a big difference for me.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Neat article....Going to try it ....

On the 16 LTZ 2500 the mirrors are large but can be misconceiving. I find myself looking at the upper part (larger) when a more realistic and accurate view as it relates to blind spots is depicted in the lower portion. 

I have a navtool system for sale.

New never installed.

Front camera/left lane watch camera/right lane watch camera

also allows smart phone mirroring on screen.

Hit me up if interested.

I'll let it go for less than what I paid for it

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cjlet said:

I read an article about a year ago that made me realize I had my mirrors adjusted incorrectly. Ever since I did so, it’s helped tremendously. I know it’s not an answer to your question, but it’s made a big difference for me.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Tried this out yesterday and today. That article is right, now I know how to use my mirrors correctly! haha 

• Haha 1

Properly adjusted mirrors are critical especially when you have a fully loaded pickup or driving a windowless van.  I would also like to know more about aftermarket blind spot sensors and/or cameras.  I've been driving pickups for 45+ years and appreciate the added safety offered through technology.  This is my first truck with backup sensors and camera.  I wouldn't buy a truck again without this feature!

I don't think GM has blind spot sensors available for full size pickups. 

GM has a towing camera system available,.

Looks like the side cameras will activate when the blinker is turned on.

It has to be added as an accessory rather than a factory order

(just got done ordering a 2500...)

Link to the 'Intellihaul' system

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/trailering-enhancements-for-sierra.html

It's made by echomaster, and there are videos of the installtion available

https://echomaster.com/intellihaul/

Take a look at the install video.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:19 AM, ALSLT said:

Tried this out yesterday and today. That article is right, now I know how to use my mirrors correctly! haha 

One thing I like about the towing mirrors I have, the lower mirrors have a massive FOV. From your car all the way to your blindspot. Although on other cars I like to be able to see the edge of my car to use it as a point of reference. I get confused when I can't see the tiny bot of edge of my vehicle.

Interesting article, almost easy enough to understand for the motoring pubic (ha), with pictures no less!  I'll try it, but I remember before trying something like this and couldn't get used to not seeing at least a little of my truck's side in the mirror.

It would help if the mirrors weren't so small.  I came over from a 150, which had larger standard mirrors.  The drivers side on my '17 SLT does have a small round mirror stuck to the upper left corner, but its so small...

Having said that, I'm used to the mirrors now with the exception of backing up.  At first, I selected automatic tilt for reverse in the vehicle options menu, but found that even though I could in fact monitor the rear wheels, I couldn't see behind the truck along the sides so I disabled that function.  I mention all this because most cars that come with blind spot monitoring also have the the technology that looks for approaching traffic coming from the side in a parking lot situation.