Need Tire input.

So I’m at the point where I have to replace my factory tires. 2015 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4. No cash for a level but I do want a larger size tire. If I️ go BFG Goodrich KO2, tire size I’m considering is 275/60r20 or 285/55/r20. Will the Latter rub without a level. I’m also considering ProComp A/T Sport in 275/60r20. I️ just don’t know enough good things about this tire. Mostly city driving, however I do drive to the snowy mountains in NM twice a year. I️ like that BFG is snow rated. I’ve heard good things. What are y’all a recommendations or input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently leveled my 2016 RCSB and last week and replaced my crappy my 275/55/20 Goodyear SRA's to new BFG KO2's at 285/55/20..

No rub, great handling and basically a quiet tire compared to the standard BFG All-Terrains...

Have fun on whatever you choose..

Cheers---K

I recently leveled my 2016 RCSB and last week and replaced my crappy my 275/55/20 Goodyear SRA's to new BFG KO2's at 285/55/20..
No rub, great handling and basically a quiet tire compared to the standard BFG All-Terrains...

Cheers---K

Yeah my biggest concern is if the 285/55 will rub without a level. Just talked with a dude at discount tire and he informed me they won’t rub even without a level. So I️m 99% sure 285/55is the route I’m gonna go. Thanks for you input.

Cheers---K

What size leveling kit did you use? Mind posting up a picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I installed Rancho 9000 Adjustable QuickLift (2") level struts in front and the 9000's in rear..

Since front end was a bit lighter, my 2" lift became roughly 2.5,, but that's OK..

Attached is photo from early Monday AM (truck is dirty) with new LT285/55/20's,, and pre-new tires..

Cheers---K 

2016 RCSB2.jpg

2016 RCSB.jpg

Looks nice!  Did you notice any ride quality differences going up to a stiff LT tire?  Are those E rated?  I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, but my previous truck from 2003 I had the BFG KO2's (stock size) and it rode like a brick, very noticeable difference.  Wondering if anything has changed in the past 14 years to make that less noticeable?

I run the Pro Comp A/T's, you should not lol. I have never disliked a tire so much. They throw rocks worse than most mud tires and like slicks on ice. But I scored 10ply 33 x 12.5 20's brand new for $180 a tire. Was quoted $400 for Toyo's at my local tire monopoly.  Unless the AT sport is a new tread pattern that is different from these tires, here is what my Pro Comp A/T's look like. They are also Chinese manufactured, but in the commercial world China makes some good tires if you buy the right ones. 

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.46e71fef21ed5ed715194ea569700dc9.JPG

Thanks reardiff...

The LT 285's are much stiffer than Goodyear serries and these are (D) rated tires with my first Nitrogen fill..

Will be interesting to check pressure this upcomming COLD winter...

Since I just installed, running @ 48 PSI as baseline this week and did notice a stiffer ride due to tire construction, tread type and current PSI setting.. Next will take down to 45 PSI for fun testing..

It does handle really well now for 3175 pound truck..

Next step will be to lower shock stiffness, but new KO2's are much quieter than my old AllTerrains..

Cheers---K

No cash for a $100 level but you are going to drop over a grand on the most expensive overrated tires on the market? If you are all city except for going on snow twice a year there are much better options that will perform much better on the road where you spend all your time. With the BFG's you will take a nice hit on mpg, road noise will increase, handling will decrease, wet weather can be a problem and on hard packed snow and ice I have heard not so good things about those tires.

Two things I would do, reconsider the tire to a better option that is better priced, then go buy the level if you are interested so you do not have regrets later or have to rebuy tires to accomodate a level and look you want. Honestly I would reconsider tires regardless as being so tight on money you should save some where you can in a slush fund just incase...

Unless you are going in to deep snow and venturing off the pavement a less aggressive tire with lots of sipping is better then a big aggressive AT or hybrid tire. Also unless you are going up passes that require the mountain snow flake symbol to legally pass many tires are just as good or better but decided to not get tested and certified to save cost. Based on everything you have noted though the Hankook Dynapro ATM would be an excellent choice, if you want the extreme looks of the BFG's check out the General Grabber AT2, both will allow you to save some movney and get a level or have a savings while meeting your requirements.

Tyler

I had multiple sets of BFGs on past trucks and they were a great tire.  They were a great if not best AT tire 15-20 years ago.  There are so many more AT tires to choose from than 10-15 yrs ago.  I usually believe you get what you pay for but not with the BFG any longer.  They are still one of the most expensive tire but there are better options out there.

I love my current Toyo RTs best tire I have ever had.  I was really surprised how quiet the Toyo is.  Much quieter than my my BFG AT and the Toyo RT is more aggressive.  The Toyo and BFG were E rated and the Toyo is the smoothest and softest riding E rated tire I have ever had.  Also the new BFG AT tread depth is now less than the older design so not sure how long they will go.  My friend who recommended the Toyo has 40k miles on his RT's and is at half the original tread depth.

The absolute worst tire I have ever had was Mickey Thompson ATZ p3.  They were the stiffest roughest riding tire by far.  Also the worst in rain or snow.  I slid all over the place and couldn't get traction at all even in 4wd.

I been running Cooper AT3s in 275\60\20 for couple weeks now, before the front level and no rubbing at all. I did notice my speedometer shows 2mph slow.

Cruise set at 60 shows as 62 on GPS app. 

I doubt you will need a level with 285/55/20. They are  only +1 over stock.  Costco is a fine place to get KO2's c/w nitrogen fill.  I would choose Michelin Defenders over those for your type of driving.  They might not look as exciting but they love to play in the snow and give a Cadillac ride on the highway.

Yeah I like the looks of KO2. I priced Costco, 1497.xx. Espino Tire and Wheel, here in San Antonio, 1220.xx out the door. Sounds too good to be true but I’m spoke with Chris Espino himself. He may not be the owner, I don’t know. But I got a name.

Archived