plowing with a 00 k2500

basically you just need the new battery, a way to secure it and cables to connect them.

you can do it fairly simple if you want. If you install 1 new battery with 1 old one, the old one will drain the new battery, so put 2 new ones in together.

Check out this forum when you are bored:

https://www.plowsite.com/threads/dual-battery-install-instructions-for-a-chevy.56715/

• 1 month later...

My 99 K2500 Plow/sander has two deep cycle gel batteries, it will run the radio, heater on high, and the sander on max in -30c no issues. Just buy thick gauge wire like 4 gauge to tie the batteries together. I have seen people add a second battery then use like a 16 gauge wire which defeats the purpose. Look into capacitors if you still don't have enough electrical supply for the demand. 

Make sure that you're running the largest alternator that your truck comes with.  Itll help with your drain from the pump.  
Largest alternator won't do anything if you don't upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery.

All aside, one of the best modifications you can do to a stock charging system is to upgrade that lowly wire between the alternator and battery...they usually use 10ga, which is barely enough. That will allow the alternator to do its job more effectively. I did this to the last truck, made a world of difference when winching.

The newer trucks are even worse as they have all the juice ran through a fuse...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Yeah do a big three upgrade, google that and it will help you tremendously. Guys use it in their cars when they are running a lot of wattage through their stereo. A capacitor will not help you in this situation (I don’t believe). I could be wrong there as I am only going on what I’ve been told. I’ve never ran a cap myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Largest alternator won't do anything if you don't upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery.

All aside, one of the best modifications you can do to a stock charging system is to upgrade that lowly wire between the alternator and battery...they usually use 10ga, which is barely enough. That will allow the alternator to do its job more effectively. I did this to the last truck, made a world of difference when winching.

The newer trucks are even worse as they have all the juice ran through a fuse...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

If you're running the largest STOCK alternator, the wiring in the truck will be fine.  If you upgrade beyond that, which is not a bad idea either, I would also upgrade the wire size.  

If you're running the largest STOCK alternator, the wiring in the truck will be fine.  If you upgrade beyond that, which is not a bad idea either, I would also upgrade the wire size.  
I've even found stock wiring on a stock alternator leaves a little to be desired...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Archived