Quieting That Annoying Seatbelt Alarm?

I always wear my seat belt - I wouldn't even drive down the driveway without it fastened - but every time I start the vehicle everybody in the cab is subjected to 3-4 really-loud chimes.

Has anybody managed to mitigate this - either by suppressing the alarm altogether or reducing the volume?

If it originates from it's own sound emitter, I'm thinking maybe a little liquid insulation foam stragetically applied.

If it's coming from the vehicle's sound system, I guess we're talking about some sort of hack to the vehicle's computer.

Understood that there is a wiring harness under the seats and disconnecting it will make the computer think the belt is fastened... but I don't want to go there because of possible unintended consequences.

Anybody else been  here?

Search the forums -- there are already a bunch of threads about this.  Here is a quick summary:

1)  There is a TSB were a Tech can log in with a laptop and adjust the chime volume.  It reduces it a little but most people still find it too loud.

2)  Buy one of these and just leave it plugged in all the time:

http://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/chevrolet-silverado-seat-belt-extender/

(get the 3" rigid in the color to match your interior)

There are a ton of cheap ones on ebay but Seat Belt Extender Pros are the only ones that meet US and European safety regulations.

Your dealer can adjust it to a tolerable level or you can buckle up before starting the truck.  The adjusted volume may still seem loud but it made the difference between hurting my ears to being an acceptable reminder!

2 hours ago, sk said:

That sounds like the ticket to me: no trip to the dealer, no chance of disabling the airbag....no other unintended consequences.

Until seeing the pic in the line, I had assumed that it would compromise my use of the seat belt, but now I see it's transparent use-wise.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I unplugged the seat belt buckle wire on the drivers side two days after getting the truck.  Much better, no additional thing to buy, and I still buckle up without issue.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:43 PM, Altus said:

I unplugged the seat belt buckle wire on the drivers side two days after getting the truck.  Much better, no additional thing to buy, and I still buckle up without issue.

Based on reading a couple other posts, I would want to be sure that the air bag still works in that configuration.

36 minutes ago, PeteCress said:

Based on reading a couple other posts, I would want to be sure that the air bag still works in that configuration.

Could you direct me to those posts?  It's my understanding that the driver's airbag is enabled at all times when the vehicle is running, no exceptions.  Can't see how removing the buckle sensor would affect it.  Even the passenger side airbag is controlled by the weight sensor in the seat, not the buckle sensor. 

I would be very careful doing anything that alters the restraint system itself. The airbag control module takes into account all of the various sensors when deciding how to respond in a collision - airbag/no airbag, rate of deployment, seatbelt pretensioner, etc.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:43 PM, Altus said:

I figured out how to do that when my truck was new.  The loud warning chimes come from the driver's door radio speaker, and I was so proud of myself for turning those danged annoying chimes off.  Then a few days later I hit a relatively minor ridge/crack in the road (the roads here are about as good as beautiful downtown Kabul) and there was a loud bang by my left ear and my seatbelt got tighter, and there was an airbag warning light.  The airbag light went away after a couple of starts.  I now think the seatbelt pretensioner fired--it sounded like a .22 round going off behind my head.  I plugged the seat belt wire back in under the driver's seat and haven't had any more issues.  In my experience, every time you try to out-think one of these new GM vehicles, it comes back to bite you in the behind later.  Another thing that gets me is if you use the keyfob to remote start the truck, it does the warning chimes and red seatbelt warning light before you even open the door to get in--to warn any ghosts to buckle up, I guess!  :uhoh:

Archived