AFM kicks in more frequently

17 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So are you saying it no longer uses oil at the rate of a quart per hour:rolleyes: Really? How did you ever make it to the end of the driveway? :lol:

Exactly.  It was using one quart of oil per hour at highway speeds.  For example, my Aunt lives 60+ miles away from here.  We usually do Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, and Mother's Day gatherings at her house.  My truck started using oil at around 7000 miles/1 year old and got worse to the point where it would use a quart of oil on the way down there and a quart of oil on the way back before I had the GM dealer do the TSB work (just before the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ran out) and I turned off AFM.  I had to carry a case of oil with me everywhere I went and check the oil level all the time.  :shakehead:  All that on a truck that was bought brand new and has always had by-the-book-or-better maintenance and has never hauled heavy or towed.  So you could say I'm NOT an AFM fan.  :sick:  Now the truck 'only' uses 1+ quarts in-between 4000 mile oil and filter changes. 

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Thanks 1

Exactly.  It was using one quart of oil per hour at highway speeds.  For example, my Aunt lives 60+ miles away from here.  We usually do Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, and Mother's Day gatherings at her house.  My truck started using oil at around 7000 miles/1 year old and got worse to the point where it would use a quart of oil on the way down there and a quart of oil on the way back before I had the GM dealer do the TSB work (just before the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ran out) and I turned off AFM.  I had to carry a case of oil with me everywhere I went and check the oil level all the time.  :shakehead:  All that on a truck that was bought brand new and has always had by-the-book-or-better maintenance and has never hauled heavy or towed.  So you could say I'm NOT an AFM fan.  :sick:  Now the truck 'only' uses 1+ quarts in-between 4000 mile oil and filter changes. 
How did you realize it was using oil to begin with? Does your oil pressure start getting low or something?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

How did you realize it was using oil to begin with? Does your oil pressure start getting low or something?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Way back in 2009, I was going to buy a like-new 2008 Silverado used truck from my GM dealer, but during a short test drive on a cold morning, all of the alarm noises and lights on that truck went off and the DIC said "LOW OIL PRESSURE, TURN OFF ENGINE", so I shut it off, called the dealer, and they told me to drive it back slowly.  The dealer didn't say much, but acted like they'd seen that before.  So I did not buy that truck, but opted to put myself in a financial bind and go for the brand new Silverado Z71 truck parked nearby on their lot.  Of course, the sales manager said the new ones were the "best trucks ever, no problems."  (Not so funny thing--a few years later, their service manager was telling me repeatedly, "Yeah, they all have all those problems.")

I joined this website while searching for a fix for another minor problem on my then-new truck, and noticed there were a lot of owners reporting the AFM excessive oil usage problem and the lifters tapping on 5.3L LC9 (and other) engines just like mine.  Shortly afterwards, my lifters started tapping at startup and suspecting AFM troubles, I started checking the oil more and more often, and sure enough, it was using some oil, a little at first and then more and more as time went by.  My truck has pretty much gone right down the entire list of frequent problems you can find on here, unfortunately.  But I never ever let it get low to the point of seeing low oil pressure or a low oil level message in the DIC, if there even is one on these GMT-900 trucks. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Silverknite said:

Has any used the afm Disabler in a 2018 silverado

I have one on mine. What do you want to know?

There isn't much to know. Plug it in and forget it. No more V4.

2 hours ago, Silverknite said:

Does it actually run down the battery if left plugged in and in check engine light or unusual things come up 

It might if you don't drive so it for a few weeks so you can just unplug if you need to.

No CEL . Nothing unusual. You don't even know it's there. 

I got mine because I put on a Borla catback exhaust and the drone was annoying.

No loss in mpg either for me.

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

It might if you don't drive so it for a few weeks so you can just unplug if you need to.

Off topic, but which Borla do you have? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Touring Catback (GM version) and curious what you think of it as far as overall sound and drone..

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Off topic, but which Borla do you have? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Touring Catback (GM version) and curious what you think of it as far as overall sound and drone..

6 hours ago, reardiff said:

I went with the Borla S Type straight out the back with stainless steel tips .

The touring is just a hair louder than stock. S type is a bit louder. Atak is loud.

I think the GM setup is too expensive .

I got mine on eBay for $900.

The difference between the borla setup and the GM setup is that the GM setup has the flapper the borla eliminates the flapper.

Also the tips are already welded on the borla setup they're separate on the GM setup.

Mine did drone until I plugged in the Range.

15544071669426671196985285014363.thumb.jpg.6c5692bb8a5d5bdfc07992386f5fbf4c.jpg

15544072698393574949508216429203.thumb.jpg.ab191d947acda483c035b750d88da5b4.jpg

5 hours ago, Silverknite said:

Where did you get your range at

Range Technology.

This is the most up to date version. That's what you want. $189 free shipping using their $10 off coupon.

https://rangetechnology.com

Edited by dieselfan1