Firestone transforce ht tires

2015 silverado 2500 HD, lb, cc, Lt, 6.0. I've got about 11, 000 miles on it. I bought it used but assume the transforce ht tires are oem. They're showing some even wear, maybe about 60% of tread remain.  On all my other trucks I've eventually put on bfg all terrain t/a ko2's which have been fantastic in terms of durability. The transforce ht's are quiet, and I've got no gripe about their performance in the 3k miles  I've driven on them. I use the truck for towing a 7500# travel trailer, light desert 4 wheeling, dump runs and home Depot runs. It's not a daily driver.

I usually wear my oem tires down about to about 25% of the tread before replacing. 

So, how have your transforce ht's behaved for you? Are these safe tires? 

2 hours ago, gmcleer said:

I have about 14,500 miles on them. So far, so good. They are just too dam skinny for this truck at 245 75 R17s.  What size KO 2a will you get?

Not sure. What size is the best fit?  I may try the less aggressive Michelin or Cooper next time around. Any place I'd go that would require the ko2 would probably be too tight to maneuver this big beast. Exception being snow.  The ko2's are fairly noisy, and take a bite out of fuel economy. 

Tire rack reviewers are claiming >60k out of the transforce ht, but it's hard to know what to believe when you read reviews on the seller website these days. My crystal ball says maybe I'll get ~25k max out of these. 

3 hours ago, Black Jack Davey said:

Not sure. What size is the best fit?  I may try the less aggressive Michelin or Cooper next time around. Any place I'd go that would require the ko2 would probably be too tight to maneuver this big beast. Exception being snow.  The ko2's are fairly noisy, and take a bite out of fuel economy. 

Tire rack reviewers are claiming >60k out of the transforce ht, but it's hard to know what to believe when you read reviews on the seller website these days. My crystal ball says maybe I'll get ~25k max out of these. 

Both my trucks have KO2's, zero noise. Mileage does suck with them, they are soft and needed where I live so shitty mileage is part of it.

Wife has 285/65/17's on her 2500 Yukon. If you want to keep as much power/braking/mileage as possible that would be the best size but they are not going to really fill in the wheel well like a 315/35 will.

14 hours ago, SMiller said:

Both my trucks have KO2's, zero noise. Mileage does suck with them, they are soft and needed where I live so shitty mileage is part of it.

Wife has 285/65/17's on her 2500 Yukon. If you want to keep as much power/braking/mileage as possible that would be the best size but they are not going to really fill in the wheel well like a 315/35 will.

315/35?  Those look like low rider tires.  I couldn't find any all terrain or Lt  in that size. 

20 hours ago, SMiller said:

Great tires, just boring/plain looking highway tires.

They look like the steering axles on an tractor trailer.

I wonder if the tires on this GMC were early prototypes?

10926415_10152692994866220_3990235338724

Pics are from a set of pics my brother had from his days @ the Oshawa Truck Plant.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine unfortunately still look brand new after 18k of highway.  Guy I spoke with at the gas station said his went for 100k before he finally swapped them. Not sure if I believe that.

life's too short to ride around on these Dinks. I'm swapping then out for 34" mud terrains next summer 

On 11/24/2017 at 7:56 PM, Buckshot556 said:

Mine unfortunately still look brand new after 18k of highway.  Guy I spoke with at the gas station said his went for 100k before he finally swapped them. Not sure if I believe that.

life's too short to ride around on these Dinks. I'm swapping then out for 34" mud terrains next summer 

Screw that, get new tires and sell old set for $200, call it a wash, life is to short to drive on small ugly tires!

On 11/13/2017 at 11:26 AM, SMiller said:

315's are 35's, 35's are 35's...

Okay,  I've found 315/70 r17's that would look good.  Would these rub on my stock 2015 2500hd 4x4? 

Limited selection in that size.  Ko2's are my fave, but not this time around.  I don't want to sacrifice the  mpg. In that size it's Bridgestone revo, conti terrain contact a/t,  pro comp at sport, Cooper at3 or atp.  No michelins that size, otherwise I'd get michelins. Maybe the Michelin at2 in a 285/70 r17 would be more sensible? 

Assuming I got 315/75 r17's in a tamer tread than ko2's, how much effect would those have on mpg compared to stock transforce ht 245/75 r17's? 

Will  these tires be a chick  magnet for this old geezer? 

• 2 weeks later...
Okay,  I've found 315/70 r17's that would look good.  Would these rub on my stock 2015 2500hd 4x4? 
Limited selection in that size.  Ko2's are my fave, but not this time around.  I don't want to sacrifice the  mpg. In that size it's Bridgestone revo, conti terrain contact a/t,  pro comp at sport, Cooper at3 or atp.  No michelins that size, otherwise I'd get michelins. Maybe the Michelin at2 in a 285/70 r17 would be more sensible? 
Assuming I got 315/75 r17's in a tamer tread than ko2's, how much effect would those have on mpg compared to stock transforce ht 245/75 r17's? 
Will  these tires be a chick  magnet for this old geezer? 
Bigger tires are going to hit your mileage, regardless. That's the trade off.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, rocnrol said:

Bigger tires are going to hit your mileage, regardless. That's the trade off.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

As does a blockier tread design.

Archived