What does camper shell do to fuel consumption?

I want a camper shell or tonneau cover for my 6'6" box on my 2017 GMC Sierra King Cab.

What effect will the various Camper Shell style have on fuel consumption?

What about the 'Hi Rise' style camper shells?

Any other comments on shells?

This is my truck should I get a White shell or a Red one?

Thanks .... ph

MyTruck_C.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice truck and welcome to this forum!  Take advantage of the search feature and you will find lots of opinions on this choice you are trying to make.  I also have a cc with the 6'5" box and chose a color matched cab high topper.  This was my choice but may or may not work for you.

I have a 2015 Silverado double cab regular bed that I put a cab high Leer shell on. I have not seen any mpg penalty since I put it on about 2000 miles ago. To me the shell has advantages over a tonneau cover but I may have different standards than others.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

I have a 2015 Silverado double cab regular bed that I put a cab high Leer shell on. I have not seen any mpg penalty since I put it on about 2000 miles ago. To me the shell has advantages over a tonneau cover but I may have different standards than others.

I also think you should go with a white shell.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Any colour other than white will look like a second hand canopy.  The price of a colour matched topper is the same as a new non-matching colour.

not necessarily, i have seen toppers for the 6.5 bed trucks for under $300 used throughout the SE. Summit white is also a very inexpensive paint color. if he shops around and doesn't mind doing some digging i bet he could get one for under $500.

i have about $750 in mine and that is with painting is Siren red Tintcoat. the paint and clear was $300 by itself.

its all about being patient

1 hour ago, jacobrmiller05 said:

not necessarily, i have seen toppers for the 6.5 bed trucks for under $300 used throughout the SE. Summit white is also a very inexpensive paint color. if he shops around and doesn't mind doing some digging i bet he could get one for under $500.

i have about $750 in mine and that is with painting is Siren red Tintcoat. the paint and clear was $300 by itself.

its all about being patient

Good points.  I was referring to deliberately buying a colour other than white.  Buying a colour matched used canopy would be the best option.

A cab-height one will only slightly improve mileage at a slight cost of payload...

I had one on a Dodge 2500 Cummins, it did make a difference. I logged every mile on that truck, cap paid for itself in about 50k miles.

I have no experience with the high-rise deals...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

One could always put Air Tabs on the back end of the truck and cap to help a little on aerodynamics.  Many of us use them on semi trucks and they seem to help a little.  I have them on my 2500HD.  Since my pickup is Summit White, I got the white Air Tabs and they match perfectly.   

http://airtab.com

One could always put Air Tabs on the back end of the truck and cap to help a little on aerodynamics.  Many of us use them on semi trucks and they seem to help a little.  I have them on my 2500HD.  Since my pickup is Summit White, I got the white Air Tabs and they match perfectly.   

http://airtab.com
There was a push on those about ten years back in the Dodge Cummins arena...some guys were after every last ounce of fuel mileage. I always thought they were more to keep the back of a trailer clean...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think they do help a little on keeping dirt buildup off the back.  I live on gravel roads and I have noticed less accumulation of dirt on the back end.  Didn't eliminate it, but did reduce it.  The best way to keep dirt off the back is a air deflector that pushes air down across the back end.  Some RV places have universal air deflectors and if I was using a cap, I would look into that.

I use a tonneau occasionally.  Air tabs could go on a hard bed cover, but not on a soft tonneau.  I have air tabs on the rear fenders near the lights and across the top of the cab rear.  

Archived