MPG questions on a 2016 Sierra

tbmaciii

I have owned my 2016 Sierra All Terrain Crew(5.3) for almost a month now, and I have a few questions regarding fuel economy and the numerous tools used to track it within the system on the truck. 

First off, what are you guys usually averaging on a normal day to day basis with a mix in highway and some stop lights and rural roads? I have a VERY light foot and I am only seeing 13-14 at best and it is making me think something is wrong.

Second, how accurate is that active fuel gauge that shows your instant MPG reading? 

Will an upgraded air intake improve this at all? I have to say that this 8 speed transmission is a huge disappointment, shifting at lower speeds is a bit clunky and not a very smooth drive, and I have had the update done recently. Truck only has 20k miles on it...

My lifetime average mpg over 12,000 miles is 19.5 mpg. About 20% hwy, and 80% around town. Truck is stock except for a Borla XR-1 racing muffler that was added about 2,000 miles ago. 2017 Sierra Crew 6.2L  

3 minutes ago, tbmaciii said:

I am going to do that, but with nothing wrong other than bad MPG, are they going to tell me to go screw myself?

My guess is that you are going to get the run around from the dealer if your only problem is bad mileage.  Maybe not but don't think they are going to do anything for you.

I have a 17 silverado with a CAI and I also don't see anything higher then 12-14 mpg. Crew cab, 4x4, 5.3, 6 speed trans. The dealer told me to bring it in and they will scan it and see if it needs an update. I also tried an edge tuner and took a 200 mile trip on the interstate and best was 16 mpg. Crazy thing being the truck runs great and full of power but my 15 silverado on 9" lift with 35s was getting 17 avg city when I traded it in on this 2017.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

My 2016 SLT 5.3L crew-cab all-terrain standard-bed factory tires gets about 15.92 mpg.  This is 95% driving around town.  I very rarely take it on the highway and I remote start my truck for 2 minutes.

If you remote start your truck, it will go down FAST. It wouldn't be unusual to see those numbers if you are. Mine are quite low, too. Though, I suspect my moving average is probably much higher.

I noticed in the last month or two that my mileage has gone down between 2-4 mpg. I’m attributing it to the cold and winter fuel. I plan on doing a thorough inspection this weekend to eliminate any other possibilities though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk to your service adviser and make sure your concerns appear on a work order.  They may not do anything but having it in writing may prove useful in the future. (I usually bring such concerns up when I take my truck in for an oil-change.)  Many factors can have a noticeable impact on fuel economy,  The monitoring system makes you much more aware.  The other day I noticed my DIC showed my "best" as 10.0 L per 100 Kms and my current 100 k as 20.0 L!   Do you have factory sized tires?  I switched to E range tires on my last truck and paid noticeably at the pump for my heavier tires!

Zero mods, 6.2L, 8 speed, 71,000 miles, lifetime average of 16.7 mpg. Mostly city driving with a VERY heavy foot. I Rarely get on the highway, but when I do it's insane how good the mileage is. My 50 mile best was at 29.5 mpg until the dealer disconnected my battery when they replaced the torque converter. 

Archived