Jump to content

Sierra 5.3

First home under contract

Recommended Posts

So I just got under contract for my first ever house yesterday. Closing will be in January. This entire process is fairly new to me, but I feel as if I know the basics. I am wondering if there are any tips/tricks/insights you all would have that would help me out in the process of buying, owning, maintaining, really anything that would be helpful knowledge or that you wish you would have known when buying your first house. Yes, I know it's going to be expensive, and probably more so then I could imagine.

 

So details on the house, it's a 3bd/2.5ba ranch style house. 2 car garage, 1,200 sqft, finished basement, fenced back yard, gas fireplace, electric appliances, one skylight. The furnace was just replaced last year and the seller is providing a 1 yr home warranty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you already had the home inspection done?   If not, find a good reputable home inspector that you or someone you know recommends.  Don't use the one the realtor recommends.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bndawgs said:

Have you already had the home inspection done?   If not, find a good reputable home inspector that you or someone you know recommends.  Don't use the one the realtor recommends.  

It is scheduled for next Monday. I was with a girl that bought a house through the same buyers agent I have and the inspect she had was amazing. I believe I am getting the same person. He was very thorough and explained everything as he went along. He would point out things that weren't huge issues but still wanted you to be aware of them. Answering any questions along the way. I think I will be happy if it is the same guy. Thanks for that tip though. My buyers agent is a best friends Aunt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, make sure you're there with him and take notes.   Other than that, enjoy your home.  Just keep up on the routine stuff and you'll be fine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

congrats.

 

like previous reply stated, go to your inspection, ask questions and take notes.   The part that drove me nuts was going through under writing on the loan, it seemed like every day for more that a week i was getting asked for new documents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sounds like you got a really nice first house good job!

I agree with the house inspection, unless they were willing to drop the price of the house substantial to not have one, but that year warranty says they probably already had one or they are confident the house is in a passable state. Roof and basements leaks are usually the biggest concerns, they can lead to heath problems.

 

I'm not sure where you live but electric stoves could rack up your hydro bill, gas is 10-30% less money in the long run.

 

You are also able to "fight" how much you pay for property tax. Most townships will have a online way to view what the taxes for yours and your neighbors houses have been in the past years.

 

Only say this because I found out my neighbor with a bigger yard then me and a similar size Square foot house pays 30% less then I do, and money is better in your pocket then in theirs.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

make sure you pay attention during the inspection to items he recommends to maintain. I thought i knew how to maintain a house, but i had all kinds of trouble with our water softner because i didn't know how it worked at first. basically, if you don't know what something is, ask. and if he tells you it needs annual or regular maintenance, do it.

 

Keep gutters free of leaves/debris. Water is your biggest enemy. Make sure all water drains away from the building or it will cause problems down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kevinreitan said:

congrats.

 

like previous reply stated, go to your inspection, ask questions and take notes.   The part that drove me nuts was going through under writing on the loan, it seemed like every day for more that a week i was getting asked for new documents.

My brother is going to be the person I go through to get my mortgage, so I can b*tch all I want in that instance and still expect great service. I mean Christmas is coming so he can't get pissed or else he is getting coal 

19 minutes ago, SuperSierra said:

 

Sounds like you got a really nice first house good job!

I agree with the house inspection, unless they were willing to drop the price of the house substantial to not have one, but that year warranty says they probably already had one or they are confident the house is in a passable state. Roof and basements leaks are usually the biggest concerns, they can lead to heath problems.

 

I'm not sure where you live but electric stoves could rack up your hydro bill, gas is 10-30% less money in the long run.

 

You are also able to "fight" how much you pay for property tax. Most townships will have a online way to view what the taxes for yours and your neighbors houses have been in the past years.

 

Only say this because I found out my neighbor with a bigger yard then me and a similar size Square foot house pays 30% less then I do, and money is better in your pocket then in theirs.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Good thoughts. I know it already has a sump pit, but not a pump and with the basement being finished and the carpet down there not being new I think that I would have known if it leaks much. I would prefer to have a pump added, but that's something I can always do later. The roof is something I am questioning as I am afraid it is the original roof. I am hoping the inspector finds hail damage or something that makes the seller turn in an insurance claim and gets it fixed prior to me taking possession. Also, I live in STL so not sure about a hydro bill, or what that really is. 

 

I would prefer a gas stove, and it is probably some i could add since it has a gas fireplace, but it is something I will live with for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good thoughts. I know it already has a sump pit, but not a pump and with the basement being finished and the carpet down there not being new I think that I would have known if it leaks much. I would prefer to have a pump added, but that's something I can always do later. The roof is something I am questioning as I am afraid it is the original roof. I am hoping the inspector finds hail damage or something that makes the seller turn in an insurance claim and gets it fixed prior to me taking possession. Also, I live in STL so not sure about a hydro bill, or what that really is. 
 
I would prefer a gas stove, and it is probably some i could add since it has a gas fireplace, but it is something I will live with for now. 


Sorry hydro is electric bill.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, aseibel said:

make sure you pay attention during the inspection to items he recommends to maintain. I thought i knew how to maintain a house, but i had all kinds of trouble with our water softner because i didn't know how it worked at first. basically, if you don't know what something is, ask. and if he tells you it needs annual or regular maintenance, do it.

 

Keep gutters free of leaves/debris. Water is your biggest enemy. Make sure all water drains away from the building or it will cause problems down the road.

Yes. I plan on bringing a notebook and writing down enough stuff to make me look like an investigator haha. This is all good advice. I believe I might have to put in a french drain in the back yard as it has a slight hill that slopes towards the house, but doesn't reach the house. You can see where the water runs in the back yard and is pretty far from the house, but still something that worries me. I will ask the inspector about it. That and the roof is my two main concerns. 

I grew up in a house where the basement leaked and I know how much of a headache that is. It was always my core to help clean up that mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SuperSierra said:

 


Sorry hydro is electric bill.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ah, gotcha. Yeah I am interested in seeing what the average utilities cost is. I'm thinking since it is a ranch it won't be too bad. I know my utilities will be electric, gas, water, sewer, and trash. Not sure what each one of those will run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ah, gotcha. Yeah I am interested in seeing what the average utilities cost is. I'm thinking since it is a ranch it won't be too bad. I know my utilities will be electric, gas, water, sewer, and trash. Not sure what each one of those will run.


Hopefully not a lot but bills always seem to go up and up, even if you have a dripping sink it can show on your water bill.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sierra 5.3 said:

My brother is going to be the person I go through to get my mortgage, so I can b*tch all I want in that instance and still expect great service. I mean Christmas is coming so he can't get pissed or else he is getting coal 

 

hopefully that gets to less questions and doc requests.  my wife and i had a running joke while going through underwriting that one day they would ask me to prove i wasn't batman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only guess underwriting leaves some good people bad.

that would drive me nuts.

 

I got one of those V.A. home certificates, even as disabled, I could step up.

Reminds me to take advantage of all avenues.

 

I used to work all aspects of building, imagine trying to tell someone that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy your new home!   There will always be work to be done so budget your money and time carefully.  Know the limits of your own capabilities. Don't believe everything is a DIY project.  Hiring a professional tradesperson can save you a lot of aggravation, time, personal safety and sometimes money!  Finish one project before starting on the next or else you'll always feel that your living in a construction zone.  It is very hard to come home and relax after a tough day at work with a bunch more work in your face.  Home renovations can be a nice escape from your regular work, but it is still nice to have a break between projects!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.