So the inspection was this morning. The roof is not 20 years old like it was originally noted, more like 13ish. Has some years left in it and no hail damage. Furnance is brand new, but the AC unit looks to be 20 years old so that will be on my watch list. The hot water heater is old as well and will need watched. Luckily I am getting a home warranty with the purchase provided at the sellers expense so that is nice to have. Their was a nut on the main water line into the house that is broken that will need replaced and the gas fireplace, the pilot light wouldn't stay lit so not sure what was wrong with that. Everything else was pretty much okay, just some maintenance things. The handle on the microwave was broken, the wood above the garage door wasn't sealed properly from the outside so it has water damage and needs replaced, the windows all need cleaned as they are hard to open, the basement has had minor leaking in the past (probably during long hard rains) and the sump pit was dry, etc. Just minor maintenance things for the most part. I am going to negotiate for the bigger things like the water line and see what they will do for the AC unit and water heater if anything. Should know more within about 10 days, but things are looking good. 

So the inspection was this morning. The roof is not 20 years old like it was originally noted, more like 13ish. Has some years left in it and no hail damage. Furnance is brand new, but the AC unit looks to be 20 years old so that will be on my watch list. The hot water heater is old as well and will need watched. Luckily I am getting a home warranty with the purchase provided at the sellers expense so that is nice to have. Their was a nut on the main water line into the house that is broken that will need replaced and the gas fireplace, the pilot light wouldn't stay lit so not sure what was wrong with that. Everything else was pretty much okay, just some maintenance things. The handle on the microwave was broken, the wood above the garage door wasn't sealed properly from the outside so it has water damage and needs replaced, the windows all need cleaned as they are hard to open, the basement has had minor leaking in the past (probably during long hard rains) and the sump pit was dry, etc. Just minor maintenance things for the most part. I am going to negotiate for the bigger things like the water line and see what they will do for the AC unit and water heater if anything. Should know more within about 10 days, but things are looking good. 

Freon is changing, if it’s a central unit it may not be serviceable. I just did three newest 10 years old. Freon in that one would have been 100$ per pound. All my units were ac heat combination, 20 years old is pushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freon is changing, if it’s a central unit it may not be serviceable. I just did three newest 10 years old. Freon in that one would have been 100$ per pound. All my units were ac heat combination, 20 years old is pushing it.

Yeah I am hoping either they agree to replace or it goes out during the home warranty period so it doesn’t cost me much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 6:46 PM, Sierra 5.3 said:

Yeah I am hoping either they agree to replace or it goes out during the home warranty period so it doesn’t cost me much.

If it's on the home inspection report,  you can have it added to the contract so that it has to be fixed prior to settlement . 

2 hours ago, bndawgs said:

If it's on the home inspection report,  you can have it added to the contract so that it has to be fixed prior to settlement . 

Since it was still working, it isn't something they are asked to replace. 

• 1 month later...

Well I closed and signed my life away. The place was nasty. I don't think they ever cleaned, and for sure never deep cleaned. 4 people cleaned for 2 days. At least it is done now. I don't know how some people live. Lesson learned, pay a cleaning company the money when you move in. It is worth it. 

18 hours ago, pogrelis97 said:

Where in STL are you ? I'm about an hour west of downtown off hwy 70. Are you in a subdivision? Congrats on the house!

Moved to St Charles county. I am in a subdivision, but no idea what it is called honestly. Assuming you are out by Wright city or Foristell? 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, Sierra 5.3 said:

Moved to St Charles county. I am in a subdivision, but no idea what it is called honestly. Assuming you are out by Wright city or Foristell? 

Yup, I'm between wright city and Foristell. Just down the road from Cedar Lakes Winery. If you've never been there I'd go, just make sure you have a DD lol

Yup, I'm between wright city and Foristell. Just down the road from Cedar Lakes Winery. If you've never been there I'd go, just make sure you have a DD lol

I have not. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 3 months later...

Good Luck Sierra! I did all this back in 1995. In the end it all worked out! But was very stressful at the time. Now I am at that stage where I am going to have to start doing renos. Have basically done the kitchen with granite, backsplash and new appliances. 

The biggest complaint I had from my experience was with the poor performance of the electrician that my contractor had. Basically He is qualified to wire a hogbarn! hahaha. No imagination for lighting and my wife and I have always paid for it. But oh well.

Enjoy your place!

Do you have to do landscaping? 

On 4/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, Likarok said:

Good Luck Sierra! I did all this back in 1995. In the end it all worked out! But was very stressful at the time. Now I am at that stage where I am going to have to start doing renos. Have basically done the kitchen with granite, backsplash and new appliances. 

The biggest complaint I had from my experience was with the poor performance of the electrician that my contractor had. Basically He is qualified to wire a hogbarn! hahaha. No imagination for lighting and my wife and I have always paid for it. But oh well.

Enjoy your place!

Do you have to do landscaping? 

Yes! Landscaping is going to be one of my bigger tasks to accomplish. My yard is a mess and doesn't have much grass so I am trying to reseed but the weather hasn't cooperated much. I will need to change up the retaining wall as well and looking to add onto the back patio and get rid of some of the grass/dirt that doesn't get much sun so it doesn't grow well. It's going to be a lot of time and money i have a feeling, but in the end looking to add a shed, gazebo, and fire pit. Should look good and raise the value. It will all be a learning experience for sure.