Anyone try putting their infotainment in development mode?

59 minutes ago, scott.moody.9401 said:

Pretty interesting stuff and options. Not sure what most of it is or does tho. Power, menu and home simultaneous button press, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Unless there's options for changing the ugly UI, I wouldn't touch it. 

2 hours ago, scott.moody.9401 said:

Pretty interesting stuff and options. Not sure what most of it is or does tho. Power, menu and home simultaneous button press, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I did it and nothing happened. It is a long press, short, fast, etc.?

BajaKing

FWIW: I think I read somewhere that the system is running on an embedded version of Windows (Win CE maybe?). If so, the possibilities for modification (both good and bad) would be rather extensive. I've read elsewhere of changing the graphics, and considerably more.

Also, I think the method for entering this mode may have changed with time. On other models, I believe you tapped one of the corners of the screen multiple times and then entered an access code. The code I've seen does not work on my truck, so perhaps this method might.

In any case, my friendly advice would be to tread carefully while in this mode, if you do decide to enter it.

it just allows you to see the module firmware info, you cant change anything. The trucks run a modified LINUX firmware GUI from what I was told.

I would tend to believe that they are Linux based, however, I'm seeing references to entering Win CE via 'Explorer Mode' from within 'Developer Mode'.

If you're interested, search on the terms "Intellilink" and "Windows CE" and you'll see what I'm referring to.

The following quote is from results of such a search:

"In the developer menu, scroll to Explorer Mode, press it and it will launch Windows CE."

It is from within this mode that I'm reading of modifications being made. I haven't tried any of this myself, I've just read about it. Happy Hacking...    :-)

I tried this on the way to work this morning. I got the menu to come up and flipped around in it but saw nothing that was really too interesting. Some of the menu items would not let me click into them.

Maybe the truck has to be in park to get a little deeper into it. 

7 hours ago, Bvonscott said:

It's Linux based, not windows CE. If you look at the new Infotainment screens coming out for the 2018 models it is even more apparent.

Maybe different systems for different years?

Maybe because of hardware differences?

Maybe related to why AA (for example) cannot be added to the older ones?

I have no idea about answers to any of these questions, but

curious minds want to know.:thumbs:

Archived