2014 Sierra 1500 Turning off while Driving!

Hello, 

I have been having this issue with the truck for a couple months here and there and its recently got worse.

While I am driving, at low speed or high speed the truck shuts off randomly, it turns everything off and after a minute or two it turns back on.

I did this about a month ago and it seem like it got better but now it did it again twice in a week. 

I am taking in this Thursday for the EPS assist  Recall issue but not sure if it will fix it.

has no warranty no more it is a 2014 22k miles no check engine light 

any help or if anyone has had this issue any help would be appreciated. 

Is there a bulletin for this? There should be a recall, something tells me your truck turning off at freeway speeds, might perhaps constitute a "safety concern".... I have stabilitrak issues, but I think its tied to a transmission problem. Perhaps I should check out this ground if GM doesn't put in another TCM in the truck on Thursday. Note to self: never buy first M.Y. 

Yes check it out -- it's a known issue and all over the web but GM won't admit to it or fix it unless you ask.  You can search for PIT5405 (it's posted on these forums) but many dealers act like they don't know it exists.

I had a dealer claim they did mine but I didn't notice any difference.  I got sick of dealing with it and decided to try the fix myself.  I opened the dash and looked at the ground studs on both sides.  I didn't notice any insulation pinched but just to be safe I removed both ground nuts, sanded the underneath of the nuts and the dash area around the grounding posts, and then tightened both nuts down firmly.  Ever since I have not had any electrical issues.

• Like 1

Yes check it out -- it's a known issue and all over the web but GM won't admit to it or fix it unless you ask.  You can search for PIT5405 (it's posted on these forums) but many dealers act like they don't know it exists.

I had a dealer claim they did mine but I didn't notice any difference.  I got sick of dealing with it and decided to try the fix myself.  I opened the dash and looked at the ground studs on both sides.  I didn't notice any insulation pinched but just to be safe I removed both ground nuts, sanded the underneath of the nuts and the dash area around the grounding posts, and then tightened both nuts down firmly.  Ever since I have not had any electrical issues.
Yeah I got the same story from them .
But thanks for the heads up on sanding it . I am going to do that I didn't do that last time I just removed the insulation. Sanding it down may help more . Thanks again .

15 hours ago, cid.yamaha said:

Yeah I got the same story from them .
But thanks for the heads up on sanding it . I am going to do that I didn't do that last time I just removed the insulation. Sanding it down may help more . Thanks again .

I'd like to hear if this helps with your truck. I am not having any issues with my 2014 and have 93k miles but you never know when something like this pops up.

6 hours ago, Eddie 70 said:

I'd like to hear if this helps with your truck. I am not having any issues with my 2014 and have 93k miles but you never know when something like this pops up.

Personally I would just re-check the grounds anyway.  There are a ton of posts on the web with this issue and it really only takes 20-30 minutes to do both sides so what do you have to lose?

I had something similar happening to my truck.  My truck would abruptly shutoff, but it only happened at low speeds and only on the initial acceleration, then it would not turn back on.  I would have to stop and restart it.  Anyways, it ended up being I had a dead cell in the battery.  After, it was replaced all my issues were gone.

I had something similar happening to my truck.  My truck would abruptly shutoff, but it only happened at low speeds and only on the initial acceleration, then it would not turn back on.  I would have to stop and restart it.  Anyways, it ended up being I had a dead cell in the battery.  After, it was replaced all my issues were gone.
I never thought about the battery maybe I'll have it check tomorrow . I just ended up sanding down the ground wires and nuts , I was unable to reach the stud but will see if it's helps . Here some pics 36aa35f006a6fd057ed9b19bf10e8f27.jpg1c0c6c260512d74c069e4f1212aea210.jpg14ad4aa5ace48bc7c70d251d0c959549.jpg

10 hours ago, cid.yamaha said:

I never thought about the battery maybe I'll have it check tomorrow . I just ended up sanding down the ground wires and nuts , I was unable to reach the stud but will see if it's helps . Here some pics 36aa35f006a6fd057ed9b19bf10e8f27.jpg

You need to cut the insulation mat in that photo.  Cut out a "strip" where it is under the cable lug end and ground stud so that when you draw the nut down you don't have insulation between the dash and the cable.  That's the issue that prompted the original TSB.

• Like 1

You need to cut the insulation mat in that photo.  Cut out a "strip" where it is under the cable lug end and ground stud so that when you draw the nut down you don't have insulation between the dash and the cable.  That's the issue that prompted the original TSB.
I did end up cutting after that pic so hopefully it helps.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, cid.yamaha said:
On 11/16/2017 at 2:05 PM, sk said:

I did end up cutting after that pic so hopefully it helps.

Did that help with your problem?