Why so much hype on self driving car?

Why is it every online automotive site and magazine going nuts over self driving cars.  I do not know of a single person that would trust this tech or even wants a self driving car or truck.  I sure do not want a computer driving me.  Am I the only one?  With the pace every automaker is developing this tech and bragging about it you would think there is a huge demand for it.  How can a computer be relied on to work perfectly all the time to drive you.  Right now automakers always have updates or new programs for glitches on computer controlled parts of a car.   Will we one day be required to let our car or truck drive us to work and hope there isn't a glitch that will crash the truck. 

• Like 2

Checkout this thread...

Self Diving Vehicle Thread

I personally like them and am looking forward to them being the norm. Sure I'll still want to drive on a track/offroad for play but, day to day I'd much rather let a car drive itself. Computers can and will be safer than humans and have actually proven to prevent accidents humans wouldn't even have a chance at preventing. With enough redundancies and safety protocols "glitches" aren't a problem. I explain a little more in the thread but, that's the gist of my opinion about them.

Edited by RubiconJoey

I agree that I'm a long way off of trusting a self-driving car. But I don't think they are intended to replace pick-up truck drivers, at least yet. They are more for urban use, think Uber, taxi cabs, etc. If I own a self driving car I can rent it out and make money from passengers.

The only time I want or would be close to trusting one right now is for long rural drives on the interstate, when I'd rather be napping.

There are a lot of urban dwellers that don't have a drivers licence (nor intend to get 1). Getting the latest iPhone is the most pressing thing on their bucket list.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although I live in SC now I spent the better part of my life living in the winter snow country of eastern Wa. state. With winter to be upon a good part of the country soon, it got me to thinking that I haven't seen any testing of autonomous or self-driving cars in extreme winter conditions. Sure those cars have traction control and can be programmed to steer in the direction of the skid, but when you take out the human element of an experienced winter driver I don't think the programming of some Silicon Valley nerd that has never driven in snow or icy conditions will cut it, not to mention the cameras and sensors would be pretty much useless in blizzard conditions. Sure, the regulators could say that the human has to take over then, but how good will the human drivers be after being pampered so long?  I might buy into this when said autonomous car is capable of chaining itself up so I don't have to get my lazy ass out of the nice warm interior.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the case everywhere but in a number of jurisdictions that I've read about, even if you have a self driving car you still have to have a licensed driver behind the wheel. 

I for one have absolutely zero interest in driverless cars. My opinion on why the manufacturers are so interested in these is because it's a race to see who can get one on the road first and who can have the best one. Basically it's the latest novelty item. I would not trust a computer to drive me .. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So when it's raining or snowing real hard and the driverless car can't "see" the road, what does it do, stop in the road, keep going. It has no intuition where the road might go, don't have enough "experience" to make a "judgment call" to save lives. Everything has to change in the road system , some boundary that keeps the confused computer car still safe. The vehicle doesn't know what's safe or unsafe, just programing. Passing a bus on the right,  because there's to much snow on the road for the bus to pull all the way over to unload, and the driverless car just sees a bus in the middle lane...

I don't like driving when it comes to just highway crap.  It's boring, monotonous and just overall a drag.  I would be fine with being driven if it was reliable and not guaranteed to have a freak out and shut down in a rural area.  Since that isn't happening anytime soon I get to keep driving.