Center console latch replacement

Anyone ever replaced one of these?  My father-in-law's 99 needs the latch replaced (well the handle part).  I have the part, but looking to see if anyone has replaced one. 

I assume you just take the outer edge screws off and then swap parts.  But before I go to his house and start tearing it apart, Id like to know if there are any tips or tricks out there.

gmt-400.  he claims it is a 99.  I don't know.  Might be a 98 or 97.  That's why I used this subforum.

Im just going to take a screwdriver and start taking the durn thing apart.  There has to be something Im missing when looking at it, because there appears to be a screw that was impossible to install.  Or the little cubby under the lid has a seem that I cant see. 

Doesn't sound like many people have ever replaced these things, or it is very straight forward.  I cant find anything on it.  I'll have to take some pictures to show later.  That one screw has me puzzled. 

Ive replaced many many latches if it's the low (height of the seat bottoms) centre console common to obs Tahoe and Yukon. You can get away with just taking out the top screws and bending the plastic to get the latch. In/out. On mine it's a pain because without the latch it doesn't lock and it's annoying. Most times the replacement latch breaks within a year and I've just about given up on them. But you don't have to take out all 15 screws or whatever is in there. Just 4 or 5 on the side the latch is on. 

Archived