Almost hit a car today due to loss of braking

Luckily i was only going 10 MPH and went to hit the brakes to stop. When i hit them, the pedal was hard as a rock and the vehicle continued to roll. After applying a considerable amount of pressure, it finally stopped. I was a few inches from hitting the car infront of me. I shut the truck off and back on and the pedal and brakes returned to normal. I am able to reproduce by pumping the brakes 2 or 3 times. On the 3rd or 4th pump, the pedal gets rock hard and the truck rolls for several feet before stopping. Im at the dealer now and waiting for a diagnosis. I have only had the truck 2 months (2014 Silverado with 77k miles).  Anyone else have this happen? This scared the crap out of me.

7 hours ago, GMcD said:

Luckily i was only going 10 MPH and went to hit the brakes to stop. When i hit them, the pedal was hard as a rock and the vehicle continued to roll. After applying a considerable amount of pressure, it finally stopped. I was a few inches from hitting the car infront of me. I shut the truck off and back on and the pedal and brakes returned to normal. I am able to reproduce by pumping the brakes 2 or 3 times. On the 3rd or 4th pump, the pedal gets rock hard and the truck rolls for several feet before stopping. Im at the dealer now and waiting for a diagnosis. I have only had the truck 2 months (2014 Silverado with 77k miles).  Anyone else have this happen? This scared the crap out of me.

Lucky you survived: 

IMG_0256.PNG

Thanks for this. The dealership said that they have to replace all the items listed at the bottom of the page you posted. They said all the parts should be in tomorrow. Ill update this post when its done.

I picked the truck up this morning and everything went smoothly. GM Certified warranty covered the parts (they replaced everything listed in the TSB). The truck idles quieter and the brake pedal feels better when i need to really get on the brakes. So far im a happy man :)

Wow, the same thing happened to me today. Was backing in a spot at Walmart, I had hit the brakes a couple of times and on the last try the pedal was hard as a rock. The truck wouldn’t brake, I almost hit the light pole that was behind me. When I was leaving, it did the same thing. I was able to replicate it when slowing down to get my mail in the mailbox. Have an appointment for Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived