Reese trailer brake dash installation

spd4n63691

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado Crew Cab which I intend to use for towing my pop-up camper.  My truck did not come with a factory trailer brake so I decided to permanently install an aftermarket brake sy stem (a Reese Brakeman unit) where the factory brake would go.  First I removed the dash panel. Then I cut out the back of the "coin tray" that GM put in place of the factory trailer brake to make room for the Reese unit to slide in.  I hard-wired the Reese unit to the trailer brake harness (which came with my truck), and ran the wiring behind the dash.  Reassembled the dash panel and I was good to go.  It isn't factory but it sits in a very convenient spot and it looks decent.  The whole job took me maybe 45 minutes.  One word of advice if you do the same, make sure you read the instructions for both the trailer brake unit you install and the wiring harness.  Each had exactly four wires; red, white, black, and blue, but the colors did NOT correspond to each other (guess how I found that out?).  Only after reading the instructions did I learn that the only matching color was blue.

Brake-2.JPG

Brake-3.JPG

Brake-5.JPG

Brake-7.JPG

Brake-8.JPG

Brake-9.JPG

Brake-10.JPG

Brake-11.JPG

Archived