L5P Duramax fuel economy

I went gas in my 2016 2500HD because (1) I am cheap and (2) I didn't see huge fuel economy benefits with the 2016 Duramax.  There is another thread on here where guys are seeing over 20 mpg highway on the new Duramax, which is about where the calculations start to push me in the direction of the diesel.  However, I looked at Fuelly and didn't see much difference between the 2017 and 2016 diesel engines in terms of fuel economy.  

Has anyone gone from an LML to an L5P and care to comment on the difference?  I have intention of making a change anytime soon, but if in five years the L5P has got a solid track record of reliability then I might consider it.  At this point, just curious  

I actually commute quite a bit in my L5P. 3 miles to the freeway, 17 miles of freeway, 3 miles side roads to work. Same route home. I average 16.7 mpg in this commute. I know this isn’t solid comparative but I have about 3000 miles in that commute and the numbers don’t vary by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  Under those conditions, I might see 13 or 14 out of my 6.0.  So it's a big difference but not sure it is enough to make financial sense.  

Especially when you calculate your cost per mile. Your 13 mpg at 2.29 per gallon is much cheaper per mile than my 16 mpg at 2.79 per gallon

13 minutes ago, Waaazooo said:

Especially when you calculate your cost per mile. Your 13 mpg at 2.29 per gallon is much cheaper per mile than my 16 mpg at 2.79 per gallon

$2.29 a gallon, i jealous, haven't seen that low in years.

in the Seattle area  gas to diesel price difference is usually about 5-10 cents.  

$2.29 a gallon, i jealous, haven't seen that low in years.

in the Seattle area  gas to diesel price difference is usually about 5-10 cents.  

Cheap unleaded is about 2.29 compared to 2.79 for diesel and 2.99 for premium unleaded.

2 minutes ago, Waaazooo said:

Cheap unleaded is about 2.29 compared to 2.79 for diesel and 2.99 for premium unleaded.

2.95-3.15 for the cheap stuff here.  when i filled up this week it was 2.95 for cheap,  diesel was 3.05

Yeah, different regions have different price spreads.  Our area, regular E10 is going for $2.39, but diesel is pegging $2.95.  Many times, state regulation and taxing are what causes the major difference.  Back several years ago when prices really hit the stratosphere, my pickup lived for almost 2 years on E85.  Gas was at around $4 a gallon, diesel was trying to reach $5 a gallon, and E85 was at about $2.50.  So even with the lower mpg of E85, I still came out ahead.  That is why I have grown fond of flex fuel engines.  I am not stuck with one fuel.

On the futures market... gasoline is $1.74.  Ethanol is $1.40, and diesel ULSD is $1.84.  The price difference you see at the pump is transportation and fuel tax.  Mostly fuel tax, and the majority of fuel tax is state, not Federal.  It is typical for fuel tax to be from 60 cents a gallon on up to over a dollar (both Federal and State) depending on the state.  Federal tax is the same across the nation, so you know who really is to blame for the price you pay.  Don't holler at Washington, look to your own state capitol.

• 2 weeks later...

And it gets even better with the gasser, depending on location where one lives.  At current $2.43 in my area for 87 and an average 14 mpg from my 2500, that equates to around just over 17 cents a mile.  E85 price near me is hovering around $1.70.  MPG average in my 2500 6.0 wth E85 hovers around 11 mpg.  That equates to a per mile cost just over 15 cents a mile.  That is why I like flex fuel vehicles. I can adjust what I am using depending on prevailing fuel prices.  At current $2.84 for diesel in my area and 17 mpg, that equates to just under 17 cents a mile.    Obviously, diesel has a place if one really needs the extra capability, but the 6.0 costs considerably less to own and operate.   Given that most of the HD pickup market is commercial users, it stands to reason that most of that market buys the 6.0 for the same cost reasons.  Each person has to decide for themselves.  

I've got a '17 2500 L5P (first diesel) and have put just under 10k miles on it in the last 2 months.  If it helps:

- towing a center console boat (7500#) from NY to FL, average mileage was 10.3MPG (via I-81 -> I-77 -> I-85, so plenty of hills along the way...)

- return trip from FL to NY without boat, the onboard (which keeps track of mileage last <x> miles, configurable) was 21.3MPG for the last 400 miles of the trip

Thought that might be useful in the future.  By the way... it was a damn pleasure driving it that far.  Couldn't be happier with the truck/ride/performance.  The torque is out of this world, I think it shifted down twice the entire ride south with the boat in tow.

Archived