Spare Tire Hoist

I have not tried to lower the spare tire on my '03 Sierra in the six years that I have owned the truck and not sure how long before I purchased the truck that it had been since it was last lowered, if ever at all. I have recently found out that it can be quite a pita due to the infamous "secondary latch" seizing up. I'm figuring that I'll have to replace the hoist due to it probably being rusted and seized up. In determining the part number for replacement, it appears that the new GM number is 20870067. In viewing photos of this part on good ole eBay, it appears that GM has redesigned the hoist and done away with the secondary latch.

Has anyone replaced their hoist with this part number? Am I correct in assuming that this part has been redesigned and no longer has the secondary latch?

Hello.  That appears to be a correct part number.  I checked RockAuto and their recommendation is the DORMAN 924502 part.  This is about $100 less than the AC Delco part.  For engine and electrical components I will go with AC Delco, but I've had good experience with Dorman parts.

After struggling with a roadside flat repair I cleaned/lubed the cable on my 2006 Silverado spare tire hoist and ground off the secondary latch.  Using an angle grinder I didn't even have to remove the hoist from the truck.  That was several years ago and there haven't been any issues with slippage.  

If you are having trouble removing the tire due to the latch "sticking", try placing a jack under the tire and pushing up on the rim to relieve tension on the latch.  Maybe smack the holder piece a couple times with a hammer and pay out some cable from the hoist.

Good luck!

I suggest the 2001- 2002 unit because they don't have the secondary latch. Some 02's had them but very few. Took my spare down for the 1st time ever last year (its an 02) didn't have a single issue and took less than 2 minutes. I'm in illinois and the salt is liquid and horrible as well. 

Archived