Did I get a decent deal?

Providing the truck remains reliable (only had it for a month), do you guys think I got a decent deal? Just trying to get a round about idea from some knowledgeable people.

It's a 2016 Silverado Crew Cab LT 5.3 with 24k miles and the following options.

-Dual Power Heated Black Cloth seats
-Lined bed with soft tanaue cover
- Bucket Seats with Center console
- Running boards
- Dual Climate controls
- Automatic Start
- Brand new Tires (stock shitty Goodyears)
- Tow Package with trailer controls

Truck is in mint condition inside and out. Not a scratch or stain anywhere. Also the dealer I bought it from gave me a life time warranty on the power train. It just comes with a $150 deductible.

Talked the dealer down to $31,900. They were asking $34,000.

A co-worker of mine who also buys cars from auctions for his uncles used car lot is telling me I'll be able to trade it in next year and probably be $1000 ahead. Does this sound right? I've never been out of being upside down just after 1 years worth of payments. He said after two years, if I have less than 50k miles, I'll probably be $3000 ahead as long as its in good or better condition. Is he just tooting my horn or does it sound about right?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

Providing the truck remains reliable (only had it for a month), do you guys think I got a decent deal? Just trying to get a round about idea from some knowledgeable people.

- Running boards
- Dual Climate controls
- Automatic Start

Truck is in mint condition inside and out. Not a scratch or stain anywhere. Also the dealer I bought it from gave me a life time warranty on the power train. It just comes with a $150 deductible.

A co-worker of mine who also buys cars from auctions for his uncles used car lot is telling me I'll be able to trade it in next year and probably be $1000 ahead. Does this sound right? I've never been out of being upside down just after 1 years worth of payments. He said after two years, if I have less than 50k miles, I'll probably be $3000 ahead as long as its in good or better condition. Is he just tooting my horn or does it sound about right?

I got the same truck with no accessories new for 34k I think you did alright.  

- Running boards
- Dual Climate controls
- Automatic Start

No actually you didn’t get a good deal. Happen to be 4x4?

I got my brand new 2017 CCSB for $30k out the door. Mines also an e-assist model with 8 speed tranny. Had 8 miles on it when I bought it.

$32k with brand new wheels and tires. (Methods and KO2 and then I sold stock for $700 cash). Came with soft tonneau cover as well.

Yours has gone through 2 years of depreciation now with 26k miles on it. I would’ve invested in a 17 brand new. Too good of deals on new trucks on the lot compared to used!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ChevyRoofer said:

No actually you didn’t get a good deal. Happen to be 4x4?

I got my brand new 2017 CCSB for $30k out the door. Mines also an e-assist model with 8 speed tranny. Had 8 miles on it when I bought it.

$32k with brand new wheels and tires. (Methods and KO2 and then I sold stock for $700 cash). Came with soft tonneau cover as well.

Yours has gone through 2 years of depreciation now with 26k miles on it. I would’ve invested in a 17 brand new. Too good of deals on new trucks on the lot compared to used!!

?? did you get a deal on an e-assist model that sat on the lot all year because nobody else wanted it? Those aren't even available outside of CA are they? but 30k for a brand new truck seems too good to be true.

I was also wondering if the OP has 4wd or not. It not a bad price based on what used trucks are going for around here, but it leads to the exact thing that Chevy Roofer said and I found when I bought mine new: Brand new trucks with a full warranty only cost a bit more than a 2 year old truck as you found out. If you compared prices and you are happy, that's all that matters. 

?? did you get a deal on an e-assist model that sat on the lot all year because nobody else wanted it? Those aren't even available outside of CA are they? but 30k for a brand new truck seems too good to be true.

I was also wondering if the OP has 4wd or not. It not a bad price based on what used trucks are going for around here, but it leads to the exact thing that Chevy Roofer said and I found when I bought mine new: Brand new trucks with a full warranty only cost a bit more than a 2 year old truck as you found out. If you compared prices and you are happy, that's all that matters. 

Yes sir, I was much like the OP in my first 2 trucks with not getting ahead on the payments.

Traded in my 16 for a 17. The 16 was valued higher so I also didn’t have to pay any tax. Will stay in this one till 2021 now and pick up the new CCSB’s hopefully right before the next model update comes out.

The 2016 e-assist models were only for California I believe. 2017-2018 they’ve opened up to Texas and more customers I think.

Went to check out a 2017 CCSB LT in Bastrop. Drove it and it had bad vibrations. The e-assist model was right beside it and had a sticker of $500 more than the one I was there to check out. So we hopped into it and test drove and it was great.

It’s all about when you’re buying/trading I’ve noticed. I got a smoking deal on my 2017 because that was the same week they were rolling out the 2018 Silverados crew cabs.

Went to 5 dealerships in person, called 6 over the phone, and emailed a little over 10+ around Texas and surrounding areas. If the dealership isn’t giving you what you want, move onto the next one with the quote they gave you and try to get a better deal!!!

Covert out of Bastrop is where I got mine. Check them out for yourself. We buy our fleet trucks there as well. Roughly 20 2500HD models per year. Didn’t get a discount for that though.

10 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

Be happy with your purchase and don't worry about the opinion of others.  Enjoy your truck.  What good will it do if you find out you over or under bid?  You got it for less than asking price which is what we all strive for and is what dealers expect.

Can of worms. Someone always gets a better deal, someone always builds a faster car. If you can afford it and you’re satisfied that’s all that counts.

2 hours ago, SirenRed16 said:

I believe that more goes into it besides the price he paid. Location and credit score play a big role on how much you pay for your vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

What does credit score have to do with it?

Yes maybe you couldve gone new for not much more, but its all what youre comfortable spending.  These trucks hold their value really well, so it sounds like you got a good deal on it in the used truck realm.  Dont compare it to those who bought new.  There is no 20% off and a million rebates when buying used.  Some say that is why they always buy new.  But if youre asking if you got a good deal on a used truck, remember to compare apples to apples, not oranges.  And if you like your truck and finanically you are affording it, who cares what other people did. ?  It sounds like a really nice truck!  Post up some pics!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Be happy with your purchase and don't worry about the opinion of others.  Enjoy your truck.  What good will it do if you find out you over or under bid?  You got it for less than asking price which is what we all strive for and is what dealers expect.

You should always get it for less than asking price.

There will always be a better deal out there. I nearly drove myself crazy trying to find the best price in the nation. A lot of it has to do with your area and what your wants/needs are. Enjoy your truck!

Archived