New truck, mods, warranty?

Z71chev

Just parked the 98 z71 and picked up a 17 z71.

Wanting to do an exhast system. Asked the dealer and they said no because

"the last guy didnt like it so we had to remove it."

If i put one on myself do i void my whole warranty? 3 year or 60k full + 5 year or 160k drive.

Should i ask another dealer to save warranty?

Also what would a 2" leveling front spacer void?

Thanks.

Heres pics of old to new21541748a6cc297bdfaeb1a2fcb71cf8.jpg5d5e3e328731cdd97bd72d1304cb5031.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Exhaust won't void warranty. The level kit on the other hand might void warranty if some front suspension components go bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ok so i can install a full cat back and be fine if she goes in for work?

Welcome and congratulations on you new truck.  Exhaust and level kits are often installed at my local dealership.  My understanding is that neither will impact the warranty if installed by the dealer at time of purchase.  Adding after purchase is also fine but the warranty for the new parts won't be covered the same as your gm bumper to bumper.  

Welcome and congratulations on you new truck.  Exhaust and level kits are often installed at my local dealership.  My understanding is that neither will impact the warranty if installed by the dealer at time of purchase.  Adding after purchase is also fine but the warranty for the new parts won't be covered the same as your gm bumper to bumper.  
Just not liking the price of dealer installed parts lol

warranty work seems to be able to be denied on a whim IF the dealership can blame the failure on an aftermarket mod. It is specific to only the parts affected by the mod, you can't void the entire bumper to bumper warranty.

The exhaust is unlikely to affect anything else, so go for it. Any changes you make to the front suspension will result in a possble loss of coverage for any future issues with steering, alignment, suspension components. Again, what are the odds you would need that in the next 3 years? Who knows. But just go into it knowing, if you install a leveling kit, you may be on the hook for any repairs to the front end.

warranty work seems to be able to be denied on a whim IF the dealership can blame the failure on an aftermarket mod. It is specific to only the parts affected by the mod, you can't void the entire bumper to bumper warranty.

The exhaust is unlikely to affect anything else, so go for it. Any changes you make to the front suspension will result in a possble loss of coverage for any future issues with steering, alignment, suspension components. Again, what are the odds you would need that in the next 3 years? Who knows. But just go into it knowing, if you install a leveling kit, you may be on the hook for any repairs to the front end.
Awesome maybe ill just stick to exhaust for now lol thanks!

Yeah, I have changed out the exhaust early on with every vehicle I have owned in the last 40 years.  Will not affect warranty.  Everything else might.  Just be a little prudent on what you change and don't broadcast it to the dealership if you take it in for service.  Heck, I usually don't even use the oil they say I am supposed to use and there has never been a problem.  Dealerships are like dealing with police.... don't give them any more information than necessary.   On the oil thing, no dealer can tell what kind of oil you are using, only the viscosity.  And even then, they cannot tell the difference within that viscosity.   They can't tell the difference between a 0w20 and 5w20, nor the difference between a 5w30 and 10w30.  Just not possible.  And they sure can't tell which brand it is.   Do everything within reason and use some good sense and you should be fine.  Don't go goofy with mods.

Archived