Yes the 6.2 Liter V8 engine consumes oil! The same in the GMC and Cadillac

On 4/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, 508gm1 said:

Does not matter what brand someone buys; they're all junk. Just a roll of the dice if you get a good unit or not.

Case and point. Pap's had 2 identical Savana vans. Both were treated and maintained the same. One got to 720,000km's on the original drive train. Only wear items were repaired/replaced. The other one made it to 460,000km's. Differential blew up, transmission had major repairs on several occasions. Chewed through tires for some reason, regardless of alignment.

Strange isn't it? I had a Honda Accord, the things were known for transmission problems. Drove mine 282,000 miles without one single tranny issue. Of course the rest of the car fell apart...engine mounts, brake issues, subframe rotted, steering rack leaked, started burning oil, egr issues, vtec solenoids, more engine mounts.

• 2 years later...

It’s funny...the only people who say that all cars are junk are American car loyalists who have some uncommon anecdotal story about a Japanese vehicle that all of a

sudden falls apart.  

Here is the thing...with Japanese style manufactured vehicles like Lexus, Toyota, and now Kia and Hyundai...the fit, finish, and quality is generally higher.  And the vehicles are known by brand to be reliable, because they are.  

The difference lies in what is considered normal for the brand.  It’s normal for a Japanese vehicle to be well made...you expect it.  Because by large numbers we’ve come to experience that as consumers.  

On the flip side...it’s considered normal in American manufacturing that an engine burns a quart or more within 3k miles?  It’s considered “normal” for their vehicles to constantly have parts break from as early as 20 miles on the odometer through their lifetime?  Digital dashes, brakes, seatbelts, tires, sensors, transmissions, and engines...all commonly break. 

it’s unacceptable in this day and age, and American car owners shouldn’t be rationalizing it...but demanding better reliability on par with the leaders of the industry.   

15 hours ago, Timmah said:

It’s funny...the only people who say that all cars are junk are American car loyalists who have some uncommon anecdotal story about a Japanese vehicle that all of a

sudden falls apart.  

Here is the thing...with Japanese style manufactured vehicles like Lexus, Toyota, and now Kia and Hyundai...the fit, finish, and quality is generally higher.  And the vehicles are known by brand to be reliable, because they are.  

The difference lies in what is considered normal for the brand.  It’s normal for a Japanese vehicle to be well made...you expect it.  Because by large numbers we’ve come to experience that as consumers.  

On the flip side...it’s considered normal in American manufacturing that an engine burns a quart or more within 3k miles?  It’s considered “normal” for their vehicles to constantly have parts break from as early as 20 miles on the odometer through their lifetime?  Digital dashes, brakes, seatbelts, tires, sensors, transmissions, and engines...all commonly break. 

it’s unacceptable in this day and age, and American car owners shouldn’t be rationalizing it...but demanding better reliability on par with the leaders of the industry.   

I can give you plenty of examples of problems with Japanese vehicles.  This is the same nonsense by people who buy foreign cars so they can pretend they are more reliable.  They aren't.  How about all the Toyota trucks with frame rust issues that required full frame replacements?  Or the issues with Toyota cars that would just accelerate on their own with no input?  Or the various sludging issues with certain Toyota engines?  And that's just Toyota.

Not sure why we need 1 post wonders like this coming here to try to pretend they bought a "quality" Japanese vehicle.  My 6.2 doesn't burn any oil yet I can tell you of at least 3 people I know with various Toyota trucks that burn over 1 quart ever 2.5K with the 5.7L engine.  My answer to them?  Go buy a real truck instead of a Toyota.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDM said:

I can give you plenty of examples of problems with Japanese vehicles.  This is the same nonsense by people who buy foreign cars so they can pretend they are more reliable.  They aren't.  How about all the Toyota trucks with frame rust issues that required full frame replacements?  Or the issues with Toyota cars that would just accelerate on their own with no input?  Or the various sludging issues with certain Toyota engines?  And that's just Toyota.

Not sure why we need 1 post wonders like this coming here to try to pretend they bought a "quality" Japanese vehicle.  My 6.2 doesn't burn any oil yet I can tell you of at least 3 people I know with various Toyota trucks that burn over 1 quart ever 2.5K with the 5.7L engine.  My answer to them?  Go buy a real truck instead of a Toyota.

Except that virtually every consumer report outlet says otherwise.  And my post count has nothing to do with you being incorrect about it.

Here is the piece your missing:

You make excuses for American trucks having substandard QA.  Treating it like a “norm”.  For the Toyota, issues are an abnormality.  Why?  Because they actually attempt to build quality vehicles and focus on QA.  They’re not perfect by any means, but it’s abnormal to hear about any issues before high mileage is achieved, and even then their trucks are hitting extremely high mileage on the original major components...engine and tranny and etc.  

If you had a Japanese engine that burned oil, it’s a flaw, not part of the design and definitely not “acceptable” or “within tolerance”.  

There’s a reason why Tundras rate so much higher than all the American trucks.  Acceptance is the first step to getting help.  The only real problem they have...is that they’re not up to date on tech.  That’s literally it...and it’s why people are still buying GM, Ford, and Ram light duty trucks.  

Edited by Timmah

52 minutes ago, Timmah said:

Except that virtually every consumer report outlet says otherwise.  And my post count has nothing to do with you being incorrect about it.  

If you believe the nonsense that comes from consumer reports, you shouldn't be trying to tell other people they are incorrect. 

1 hour ago, Timmah said:

Here is the piece your missing:

You make excuses for American trucks having substandard QA.  Treating it like a “norm”.  For the Toyota, issues are an abnormality.  Why?  Because they actually attempt to build quality vehicles and focus on QA.  They’re not perfect by any means, but it’s abnormal to hear about any issues before high mileage is achieved, and even then their trucks are hitting extremely high mileage on the original major components...engine and tranny and etc.  

If you had a Japanese engine that burned oil, it’s a flaw, not part of the design and definitely not “acceptable” or “within tolerance”.  

There’s a reason why Tundras rate so much higher than all the American trucks.  Acceptance is the first step to getting help.  The only real problem they have...is that they’re not up to date on tech.  That’s literally it...and it’s why people are still buying GM, Ford, and Ram light duty trucks.  

Nice job editing your post with your extra nonsense.  If the QA on American truck is so substandard, why is it that Toyota ended up having to replace the frames of 700K Tacomas made from 2005 to 2011?  This is one big abnormality that you seem to want to just gloss over.  Its also hardly the only problems with these trucks or the Tundra.  I'm not making any excuses for American vehicles, you are the one making excuses for the ones made by the Japanese and it just doesn't hold up in reality.  Like I said, I can give you plenty more examples of problems with Japanese vehicles as well as personal stories of people with them. 

There are numerous issues with the Tundra regardless of what you want to believe.  Keep on reading consumer reports and drinking that koolaid if it makes you feel better.

47 minutes ago, LDM said:

If you believe the nonsense that comes from consumer reports, you shouldn't be trying to tell other people they are incorrect. 

If you believe your opinion is more accurate than consumer-sourced large data statistics you shouldn’t be talking at all.  You’re the guy who disagrees with scientific research because it goes against your confirmation bias.  

Look...I’m sorry if you can handle facts...that are confirmed with actual data.  If your emotional fragility is being tested...and you can’t handle it...maybe...go buy a reliable truck?  

32 minutes ago, LDM said:

Nice job editing your post with your extra nonsense.  If the QA on American truck is so substandard, why is it that Toyota ended up having to replace the frames of 700K Tacomas made from 2005 to 2011?  This is one big abnormality that you seem to want to just gloss over.  Its also hardly the only problems with these trucks or the Tundra.  I'm not making any excuses for American vehicles, you are the one making excuses for the ones made by the Japanese and it just doesn't hold up in reality.  Like I said, I can give you plenty more examples of problems with Japanese vehicles as well as personal stories of people with them. 

There are numerous issues with the Tundra regardless of what you want to believe.  Keep on reading consumer reports and drinking that koolaid if it makes you feel better.

I’m not making excuses for Japanese vehicles...I don’t need to.  But since you want to talk about those specific things over and again...the frame issue, was due to the steel provider.  And they switched their source for steel, and now there’s no more issues.  (They didn’t manufacture the steel).  And yes...it was an abnormality.  Not a commonality that continues to never be resolved...as it is with the nagging same issues with American trucks that have failing engine, transmissions, braking, and so forth over and over again.  Same goes for the gas pedal issue.  

Were talking about defects per 100, engineering, design, fit, finish, durability...and etc...on the whole...large data.  And it’s not just consumer reports...it’s ANY automotive outlet that confirms this.  

But I suppose they’re *all* wrong...and you’re right?

Edited by Timmah

1 minute ago, Timmah said:

If you believe your opinion is more accurate than consumer-sourced large data statistics you shouldn’t be talking at all.  You’re the guy who disagrees with scientific research because it goes against your confirmation bias.  

Look...I’m sorry if you can handle facts...that are confirmed with actual data.  If your emotional fragility is being tested...and you can’t handle it...maybe...go buy a reliable truck?  

I have a reliable truck.  That's why I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra and not a Toyota Tundra.  You clearly have no real idea what you are talking about as consumer reports has been found to lie in their recommendations numerous times.  You should consider doing some real research rather than just relying on "my internet scientific searches" that you think mean something.  The fact that you are still here trying to convince anyone that your nonsense is "facts" is pretty hilarious.  The fact that you've resorted to pretending I'm somehow "emotionally fragile" goes to show how foolish you really are.

2 minutes ago, Timmah said:

I’m not making excuses for Japanese vehicles...I don’t need to.  The frame issue, was due to the steel provider.  And they switched their source for steel, and now there’s no more issues.  They didn’t manufacture the steel you ****.

Were talking about engineering, design, fit, finish, durability...and etc...on the whole...large data.  And it’s not just consumer reports...it’s ANY automotive outlet that confirms this.  

But I suppose they’re *all* wrong...and you’re right?

Ah, and now we have name calling and hand waving.  You really should go back to whatever Japanese car forum so you can all drink the koolaid and tell each other how right your are about your purchases.  Sorry you can't handle reality.

Tundras are definitely more reliable, insane to think otherwise.

They are more reliable for 2 reasons.

-toyota is literally insane about engineering and stress testing. There are some good reads out there about what bmw learned from toyota when they worked on the supra/z4

-toyota tech is usually older. They engineer something and they use it for like a decade or more. If you think the tundra, first released in 2007 and has no redesign since and the same motor, is less reliable than a gm truck which gets new motors and completely new interiors about every 6 years, you would be wrong.

32 minutes ago, LDM said:

Ah, and now we have name calling and hand waving.  You really should go back to whatever Japanese car forum so you can all drink the koolaid and tell each other how right your are about your purchases.  Sorry you can't handle reality.

I’d say the same to you.  Putting your head in the sand and pretending everyone else is wrong when literally every piece of data supports it probably isn’t the best way to go about life, but if that makes you happy do your thing. 

1 minute ago, Timmah said:

I’d say the same to you.  Putting your head in the sand and pretending everyone else is wrong when literally every piece of data supports it probably isn’t the best way to go about life, but if that makes you happy do your thing. 

Of course you would.  You're so much smarter than everyone else and feel the need to tell us all just how smart you are.  If you had half the intelligence you think you had, you wouldn't be making these claims.  But hey, feel free to tell us more about all the data you claim to have.  All you've done is hand wave about consumer reports and name call, then go back and edit your post so it isn't there anymore.  700K+ failed frames from lack of QA is hardly the first issue with Toyota trucks or any of their other vehicles.