F150 calling?

My brother and his Forman have 2010 Ram 1/2 ton Hemi fully loaded trucks. One has 195K the other 175K. The higher mileage one recently had a cam and lifter replacement. They both just got new Rams, one traded his in my brother gave his to his parts Forman. They both still looked good the leather had no rips. Lucky I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been a die hard Ford man my whole life. I looked at the 2017 F-150s at the dealer, was put off by the loose cheap feeling door handles, I pushed on the side of the door and couldnt beleive how much flex there was in the door skin. I didnt even test drive one .

Went and bought a new Silverado and have been very pleased so far. It was a real hard decdision at the time, the Silverados seem built alot more solid than Fords

If I were to jump GM ship it would undoubtedly be to Ford.  I owned a 2007 Tundra and while it was reliable, it wasn't the stereotypical "Toyota perfect."  Trim broke and was replaced, rotors warped, radio went out, etc.  I wasn't overly impressed.  I grew up in a Ford family, and came to GM about 20 years ago.  I've looked at Ram and like their product, but just can't feel confident in their reliability.  Luckily for me most of my GM trucks have been solid and reliable, but if that ever changes the Blue Oval is where I'll take my chances.  I think I'd opt for the 5.0 over the ecoboosts though.  I have driven the 3.5 eco and it is strong, but too many possible points of failure for me.  One downer for me would the the auto stop-start standard on all 2018 Ford engine choices.  I suspect that is a sign of the times though and will be on the new GM and Ram trucks soon as well.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

We have trucks to hauls stuff around and get around in places that cars cannot.  The best engine for the job is a V8 for its simplicity and torque without resorting to turbos and superchargers (artificial displacement).  I know all about V6 Turbos from thirty years ago and we go them to exceed the performance of the famous 454s and 455s but I'd never think to put one in a truck and haul a horse trailer, travel trailer, whatever and expect it to hold up over time.  I haven't heard but I reckon those Ford's spend a lot of time under boost to get the job done.

As the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement!

Eventually your lemon will run of things needing to be fixed.  Endure or get another one.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I felt the same way, rather have a turbo than that V4 crap.

AFM is very easy to electronically disable if it bothers you that much. The Range comes to mind, and all tunes will do this if you want to go that route.

3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

We have trucks to hauls stuff around and get around in places that cars cannot.  The best engine for the job is a V8 for its simplicity and torque without resorting to turbos and superchargers (artificial displacement).  I know all about V6 Turbos from thirty years ago and we go them to exceed the performance of the famous 454s and 455s but I'd never think to put one in a truck and haul a horse trailer, travel trailer, whatever and expect it to hold up over time.  I haven't heard but I reckon those Ford's spend a lot of time under boost to get the job done.

As the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement!

Eventually your lemon will run of things needing to be fixed.  Endure or get another one.

Would you buy a Diesel 3/4 ton without a turbo? No, you wouldn't (cant). somehow that's different, right?....Forced Induction is not "artificial displacement." I would argue it's "optimized displacement."

im not a fan of Ford at all, and would likely never buy one with the 3.5L ecoboost, but its very difficult to deny the engine specs, and ability to tune a forced induction motor. Much cheaper horsepower...

I have seen so many horror stories with the first gen 3.5 Egoboost that I would never ever recommend one if it were the last vehicle on earth! From smoking, to stretched timing chains, to turbo failures, they are not an engine to have after the warranty expires.

13 minutes ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

I have seen so many horror stories with the first gen 3.5 Egoboost that I would never ever recommend one if it were the last vehicle on earth! From smoking, to stretched timing chains, to turbo failures, they are not an engine to have after the warranty expires.

I just drove behind one couple weeks ago....Brand New and the exhaust pipe was just blowing darker colored smoke out the tailpipe!  Reminded me of the 80's and every Dodge car I ever saw all smoking away......

AFM is very easy to electronically disable if it bothers you that much. The Range comes to mind, and all tunes will do this if you want to go that route.

I had a tune, read up on what’s involved in making all that work. Those small blocks were pretty much bulletproof till the V-8-4 nonsense. All for maybe a mile a gallon improvement on the freeway. Think about that when you’re truck is in the shop for lifters, cam, vacuum pump, etc. and wonder how much gas you could have bought paying for that. Ridiculous.

If I buy a new Ford or Ram it won't be because of my disappointment with a GM truck.  Models, features and our needs change.  I owned several F100's and F150's throughout the 70's to 90's.  At that time. GM styling didn't appeal to me.  In the late 90's Ford did some significant styling and engine changes that tipped the scale in favor of GM, imo.  I do like the GM V6 .  I personally think the V8 badge will go the way of the manual transmission.  Our love of the old V8 muscle cars are being challenged by fuel efficient V6 electronically controlled engines.  

19 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I live in the rust belt. Dodge rams last about 3 years before the rust out. Toyota is dated, expensive and gets terrible mpg, Nissan is too new on the design cycle for me. Ford is the only one I consider an option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Huh...my dad's 2014 Ram doesn't have a lick of rust on it. He has 70,000 trouble free miles on it. The ZF 8 speed trans is fantastic in that truck, and the Hemi makes it move...

I live in Northern Illinois.

Archived