F150 calling?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Or if you can't get counseling and simply must have a Ford, for heaven's sake get the 5.0L V8, or you'll be on a first-name basis with the service manager at the Ford dealer, too! 

Listen to this guy! Stay away from those Ecoboost motors

5 hours ago, mr4wdLTZ said:

Would you buy a Diesel 3/4 ton without a turbo? No, you wouldn't (cant). somehow that's different, right?....Forced Induction is not "artificial displacement." I would argue it's "optimized displacement."

Even bigger, I had an '88 F-SuperDuty Hot Shot with the naturally aspirated 7.3 International.  In 1990 we added the 1-ton Dodge Cummins' to the fleet.  Even though they couldn't tow as much they got over twice the mileage.  Well, those are the terms folks used thirty years ago.  You get the extra cubes/power while under boost.  Call it what you like.

5 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

I want to dump my wife sometimes?  I know the alternative is far worse though......Oh, God what to do?

God's Word says to love your wife.  So do it.

God's Word says to love your wife.  So do it.

We had an 88 7.3 and a 91 Cummings. The only time the ford could hang with the Cummings was after we added a banks kit and gear venders. All I had to do after that was reach behind the Cummings injection pump pop a cap turn it up by by Ford 7.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father just had the cam phasers go on his ecoboost.  The timing gear apparently got hurt when the cam phasers went south, next thing you know his whole engine was destroyed.  Ford gave him a new longblock but he is not real high on the ecoboost.

Consider a 5.0 if Ford.  Alternatively, in my opinion, the most reliable truck on the market is the GM gas HD.  The 6.0 and 6L90 is not fast, flashy, or high-tech, but they have an exceptional record of reliability.

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

We had an 88 7.3 and a 91 Cummings. The only time the ford could hang with the Cummings was after we added a banks kit and gear venders. All I had to do after that was reach behind the Cummings injection pump pop a cap turn it up by by Ford 7.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dreamed of the Banks and Gear Vendors back then!  While the 7.3 pulled more than the Cummins, it couldn't run much faster than the speed limit at the time.  Ours had a ZF 5-Speed with 5.13 Gears.

2 hours ago, i82much said:

My father just had the cam phasers go on his ecoboost.  The timing gear apparently got hurt when the cam phasers went south, next thing you know his whole engine was destroyed.  Ford gave him a new longblock but he is not real high on the ecoboost.

Consider a 5.0 if Ford.  Alternatively, in my opinion, the most reliable truck on the market is the GM gas HD.  The 6.0 and 6L90 is not fast, flashy, or high-tech, but they have an exceptional record of reliability.

Sorry to hear about that.  The old Ford 302s and 351s were great truck engines as well.  My '96 F-150 with the 302 averaged 12mpg with 30x9.5x15 tires spending much of the day idling from 6am to 3pm. 

Most folks are all for advanced technology but weary of complexity as it is usually anathema to reliability.  

10 hours ago, racetrk said:

The gen 2 3.5 makes more torque at a significantly lower RPM than an 8.1L.

“I’ll take 470 ft/lbs @ 2500 RPM for $1000, Alex. “

Yeah but it's still a shitty 6 cylinder that needs a trubo to do any work. 

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

I dreamed of the Banks and Gear Vendors back then!  While the 7.3 pulled more than the Cummins, it couldn't run much faster than the speed limit at the time.  Ours had a ZF 5-Speed with 5.13 Gears.

Sorry to hear about that.  The old Ford 302s and 351s were great truck engines as well.  My '96 F-150 with the 302 averaged 12mpg with 30x9.5x15 tires spending much of the day idling from 6am to 3pm. 

Most folks are all for advanced technology but weary of complexity as it is usually anathema to reliability.  

yeah i like the old junk too, i have an old 72 chevy 4x4 with a 396.  i considered a super duty 6.2 when i bought my 2500HD but the local chevy dealer had the configuration i was looking for (base model crew 6.5) and the ford dealer's didn't.  also, the gm gasser HD's now come standard with the steeper gears and they are still an option on the Ford.  

as for technology on the new trucks, i think the reason the GM 6.0/6L90 is so reliable is that they haven't messed with it.  It's just a VVT OHV V8, no direct injection, no AFM, no turbo, etc.  The newer diesels have just had all kinds of engineering thrown at them in the past decade or so to meet emissions requirements, and the half ton trucks have had almost as much engineering thrown at them to meet the CAFE requirements.  

couldnt agree more with the 6.0! I sometimes miss the older truck and lately have been looking at the 2003+ Suburban/Yukon 2500 with the 6.0 in it. Feel that the HD stuff lasts longer and might get flak for this but do still love the H2 Hummer with the 6.0 in it as well. 

Thanks for this group therapy session. All the great members on this forum have made it a fun go this past several months. I had my service rep print out my entire service history, all 18 pages. 8 different issues from mechanical to electronic. 13 times I was officially at the dealer for these issues over 17 months. However it was actually much more than that as some of them involved multiple trips.

I have all the lemon law papers filled out to do the arbitration program in our state. All I have to do is hit submit.

My neighbor is a 25 year GM tech at a different dealership than the one I go to. I asked him what he would do if it was his truck. He said he would lemon law it.

If it goes through and I get most of my money back i would probably be between an f150 or another silverado or maybe a Sierra (like the wheel well trim), but only if I can find a crew cab not made in Mexico like my current. My dad also has a 2016 silverado made in Fort Wayne and his truck has been problem free. Maybe that is the problem?

I was much less enthusiastic about the f150 when I looked at their forum and all the people complaining about the auto stop feature.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Huh...my dad's 2014 Ram doesn't have a lick of rust on it. He has 70,000 trouble free miles on it. The ZF 8 speed trans is fantastic in that truck, and the Hemi makes it move...

I live in Northern Illinois.
I had a ram rental for a month with a hemi. Hands down drove better than the 5.3 or the f150 I drove. But in NY just drive around for a few hours and pay attention to any ram that is more the 3 to 4 years old and you will see big bubbling rust coming out of the wheel wells. I see it every day if I look for one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

If it goes through and I get most of my money back i would probably be between an f150 or another silverado or maybe a Sierra (like the wheel well trim), but only if I can find a crew cab not made in Mexico like my current. My dad also has a 2016 silverado made in Fort Wayne and his truck has been problem free. Maybe that is the problem?

Your research will find good and bad about GM, Ford and RAM.  I believe you will not find a lot of evidence proving quality differences between a Crew Cab assembled in Mexico vs one assembled in Fort Wayne.  However, I understand a preference for a truck assembled in your own country.  I loved my Canadian built 2000 Silverado.  It was virtually flawless but admittedly so is my '15 Sierra assembled in Mexico.

I was at the 'international auto show' this weekend here in Tampa.  I sat in almost every truck there.  The F150 has a big cabin compare to the others.  The F150 seats were not comfortable at all in a Lariat. I also still found the interior to be a bit cheap-like plastic.  And they have knobs and buttons facing downward by your left knee, like what's up with that?  I could see me hitting my knee into that knob all the time.  I sat in a few RAMS, and while I like the dash and front seats... the backseats were terrible for an adult and the front passenger side foot well area has an 80's style conversion van bump, making it to where you have to wedge your feet into the well area.  My feet barely fit int there side-by-side.  That passenger foot well bump is the down fall to the RAM for me.  The Tundra's platinum interior felt like really cheap crap on the inside, circa 1997 Camry.  I missed sitting in the Titan, thats the only truck I didn't get to sit in.  But after sitting in all the trucks that I did sit in, even the new Super duty....  I like the GM interiors.  Disclaimer, these trucks sat in the showroom, could now test drive them at 80 for a vibration.  I'm looking at doing the Range AFM delete.  My 14 is at 73k and lived a hard, but well maintained life.  City driving and lot of job sites, towed trailers, my toy cars etc.  My truck is worked and the bed and tailgate show it.  My issues:

-A/C condenser leak.  Like all 14's and 15's.

-RR axle seal leaked, still 'sweating'.  annoying at this point, but not an issue.

-Flexplate bolts on the engine were leaking oil on early 14's.  Had to pull the trans and apply sealant to the bolts.  Leak was 100% fixed. While in for this, the AFM cover on the front of the engine was re-sealed with grey RTV and it fixed the weeping. 

-Slight rear-end shake at 75+.  Slight in comparison to others.  EG- touch of the chevy shakes.

Aside from the above, it's been a great truck and the proportions of the truck are awesome and the interior is great. I just wish I had the max tow pkg and the 6.2, my only regrets in life...  If the '19 GM's all have stop-start tech on the engines.....  I'll be looking for a leftover '18 version of my truck with the 6.2 NHT. 

Anybody can get a lemon in any make of truck/car, it is what it is.  All of these newer trucks are made as cheap as possible and sold at the highest price possible, that is how companies make money.  I've mentioned this on here numerous times but my company buys 50 or so new trucks a year and we list our specs and bid it out and whatever dealership comes in the cheapest is what we get so this year it may be Fords, next year GM's, next year Toyota, etc.  We beat the crap out of these trucks and trade them in at 100k miles or so which is usually an average of 4 years and we usually don't have any major problems out of any of them but you do get one or two a year that are trouble and in the dealership all the time.  I just got rid of my 2012 F150 work truck that had 120k miles on it and didn't have any major troubles.  We now have over 30 2014 GM half tons and those guys are doing fine with them except for the terrible front approach angle, we have had to put 2 inch spaces on the fronts of all of them just to get to the same places we used to with previous half ton trucks and our Dodges are the same.  As far as half tons used for our kind of work it looks like my company may start getting 3/4 tons because all of these new 1/2 tons just are not made to go "off-road" like they once were. 

Archived