Cab lights done

Congrats on the mod.  Shortly after getting my '16 1500 I started a thread about this.  Never went thru with it after learning about the hassle with making square holes for the lights, which seems like the hardest part.  

Congrats on the mod.  Shortly after getting my '16 1500 I started a thread about this.  Never went thru with it after learning about the hassle with making square holes for the lights, which seems like the hardest part.  

I’m gonna be honest that wasn’t hard at all dremel with a cutting wheel cuts through like butter. The hard part was getting everything square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make it sound as if you didn't use the wiring harness, as you didn't have power in the passenger side fuse compartment.  But doesn't the harness allow you to connect to the 3 lightheads then at least have the lead to come down the A pillar?  Otherwise, with the short leads from the lightheads, you'd have to MacGyver something to make them work.  

You make it sound as if you didn't use the wiring harness, as you didn't have power in the passenger side fuse compartment.  But doesn't the harness allow you to connect to the 3 lightheads then at least have the lead to come down the A pillar?  Otherwise, with the short leads from the lightheads, you'd have to MacGyver something to make them work.  

Right I used the harness basically for just those 3 plugs which was def easier. But at a 100$ I thought it would just plug in so I ended up cutting the plug off anyway.

• 1 year later...

These trucks look good!  Anyone have more info on the wiring and where to pick up the power from?  I have a set of cab lights for the '07-13 generation that I was going to put on my 2000 but never got around to it. Then I got rid of that for my '18.  I think they would look good on the K2 as well, and they only require round holes.

If you get the complete wire harness, which naturally has the ends for the lights, the other end plugs into the large opening in the passenger fuse compartment and it's complete.  Or you can get funky and I've read that the grey with purple strip is the hot wire for the marker lights. 

13 minutes ago, SuthrnZ71 said:

Man yall are tempting me to add some to my truck now lol!  Question though, can you still add them if you have the factory sunroof?

Of course, you can get a HD with lights and the roof my local dealer has several High Countries in stock this way. It would be the same roof as a 1/2 ton so nothing should interfere with the lights. You just can’t get the plow prep package with the roof from factory because of the beacon switch & wiring in the overhead console.

If you haven’t seen them there is a solar powered cab light option for these trucks now. Waterfowler did a review and install in a thread on this site. I only mention it cause at first I was like “that’s just dumb” but after he posted pics and his opinions on them I think they are a viable option for some people who want that look. Not me though I’m cool with a slick top roof...

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 12:07 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

I have all the part numbers for everything if I had to do it over I would not have spent the 100 on the harness. Yes it was def easier but it wasn’t plug and play on my truck. If you wanna do it. Open the passengers side fuse box and see if you have power to the third pin with parking lights on. After I had everything set to install I said let me check no power to that pin. I had to tap in to the parking light wire in the kick panel. So I had to make my own harness anyway.

If you're still here can you explain or post a pic of the wire you tapped?  Im about to install cab lights on my 2017 Silverado (I've done several cab lights from scratch installs) and will check fuse box but if I need to Id like to know which wire to tap(running lights)  Thanks.  

I will be doing an introduction soon and list of all my mods since I bought my truck a few months ago.

Htttrh, I'd suggest getting the wire harness to make it easier.  It'll plug into the large opening in the left side of the passenger fuse block then it has the snap fittings for the lights themselves.

• 9 months later...

So my question is does the lights have to be on a switch if you connect to the 3rd pin or will it go on with auto lights.. I have 2015 high country 1500. I installed and wired them but I like run it to the fuse panel instead of tapping into the wires.. I have power to the pin 

1D02C865-9BB3-4692-83FC-162CBFD0EB2B.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Dbl0107 said:

So my question is does the lights have to be on a switch if you connect to the 3rd pin or will it go on with auto lights.. I have 2015 high country 1500. I installed and wired them but I like run it to the fuse panel instead of tapping into the wires.. I have power to the pin 

L1D02C865-9BB3-4692-83FC-162CBFD0EB2B.jpeg

Look's Good . Is it me - Are your lights white ? they look light blue ??