Shifted to reverse while going foward

Dont ask how it happened just now I screwed up big time. Was comming to a stop sign so I was going no more than 30 and shifted to reverse. Truck turned off and battery light came on. Put the truck back in park then went to start it it studdered for around 5 seconds and then turned on. Did I do any serious damage to my trans? Or just severly shortened its life. Its a 4l80e in a 2003 1500HD. Truck shifts fine like it did before. Even went through and "manualy" shifted it and feels nice and smooth. But one thing I did notice its it feels a tiny bit more heavier. Its done that before and goes away. Or is it just a bad version of the placebo effect?

I wouldn't worry about it as I did the same thing when I had my 2001 2500HD and it killed the motor as yours did I put it back in neutral restarted the motor everything was good. I was driving and messing with the pin on the gauge cluster and hit the shifter handle and put it in reverse. I was told by a GM mechanic friend the truck was fine as its a safety devise to do that to protect the drivetrain in case something like that happens. Don't worry about it.

12 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

I wouldn't worry about it as I did the same thing when I had my 2001 2500HD and it killed the motor as yours did I put it back in neutral restarted the motor everything was good. I was driving and messing with the pin on the gauge cluster and hit the shifter handle and put it in reverse. I was told by a GM mechanic friend the truck was fine as its a safety devise to do that to protect the drivetrain in case something like that happens. Don't worry about it.

Ok I figured. But one thing is I did not put it in neutral when I turned it back on. Did it stop real hard when yours went into reverse too?

43 minutes ago, Adr Marr said:

Ok I figured. But one thing is I did not put it in neutral when I turned it back on. Did it stop real hard when yours went into reverse too?

Yes it stopped hard enough to chirp the rear tires a little bit, the reason I put it in neutral was the truck was still rolling.

This happened to a buddy of mine when we were younger. We were hauling a truck load of oyster bags to oyster houses down in Florida. We probably had about 2000 bags on the truck. It was  fairly new truck at the time, maybe 88 or so. My buddy was driving and had his McDonalds cup on the dash. He reached up to get it and knocked it into reverse and we were going about 60 MPH or so. The truck made a loud boom sound and it killed the truck. He put it in neutral, hit the key and it started right up. Put it back in drive and we kept on rolling like nothing happened. That truck survived that, so I would suspect yours will be fine too. 

2 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

I would expect the torque converter would slip and shear fluid, and allow this to happen without causing significant damage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Now I know a good amount of information on my truck but I am not to familiar with transmissions. That said, is it bad for the converter to slip? And could I have damaged it?

Now I know a good amount of information on my truck but I am not to familiar with transmissions. That said, is it bad for the converter to slip? And could I have damaged it?
Converter is meant to slip, it's essentially the "clutch" in the automatic transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Converter is meant to slip, it's essentially the "clutch" in the automatic transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh ok. Thanks for the help man. For some reason I feel paranoid while driving it now. I feel like its different but at the same time its not different. Call me weird but im kinda scared for it, I love my truck lol. Anyways thanks for the help again

When backing up into a parking space at work I have a habit of putting the truck into reverse while it's still rolling forward.
I've done this in 3 trucks with 4L60 transmissions. Drive each well over the 150 k Mark. Never had a transmission failure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, desertz said:

When backing up into a parking space at work I have a habit of putting the truck into reverse while it's still rolling forward.
I've done this in 3 trucks with 4L60 transmissions. Drive each well over the 150 k Mark. Never had a transmission failure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confidence guys. Just one last question. Would that happening have any efect on the RPMs of the trucks engine?

Archived