starting problems

hi everyone im new here but in need of some help 

my 2002 2500hd 6.0 vortec was running fine up until it got cold out. I finally narrowed it down to leaky intake gaskets because it would start and run rough until the motor got warm and the metals expanded and sealed up the gaskets. so i spent about 4 hours replacing the intake gaskets and i did the knock sencors while i was in there everything went pretty good got everything put back together and fired it up and it took right off and run really well i was also working on it in a heated garage so the motor was still fairly warm when i got done. drove it home and the next morning i go to leave for work and it wont start unless i give it some throttle it also wont idle. after about a half hour drive to work i park and it idles fine. but only at about 400-500 rpms before the intake gasket replacement it idled at 1000rpms. one thing to note is i forgot to plug the pcv valve in when i was done and i could hear it hissing so i plugged it back in and the rpms dropped considerably so i got a new valve but it seems to run better with the valve pulled out of the valve cover. any ways any help would be greatly appreciated or point me in the right direction if there is any info already out there thanks!

On 11/17/2017 at 8:11 PM, kalboski90 said:

hi everyone im new here but in need of some help 

my 2002 2500hd 6.0 vortec was running fine up until it got cold out. I finally narrowed it down to leaky intake gaskets because it would start and run rough until the motor got warm and the metals expanded and sealed up the gaskets. so i spent about 4 hours replacing the intake gaskets and i did the knock sencors while i was in there everything went pretty good got everything put back together and fired it up and it took right off and run really well i was also working on it in a heated garage so the motor was still fairly warm when i got done. drove it home and the next morning i go to leave for work and it wont start unless i give it some throttle it also wont idle. after about a half hour drive to work i park and it idles fine. but only at about 400-500 rpms before the intake gasket replacement it idled at 1000rpms. one thing to note is i forgot to plug the pcv valve in when i was done and i could hear it hissing so i plugged it back in and the rpms dropped considerably so i got a new valve but it seems to run better with the valve pulled out of the valve cover. any ways any help would be greatly appreciated or point me in the right direction if there is any info already out there thanks!

Have you checked all the fuses under the dash and hood?  I can't recall which one but there is one the controls idle. Also sometime when certain work is done on them they have to relearn idle.  Check i to that procedure as well.

as far as i can see there is no idol control fuse. could be because mine is a wire from foot feed to throttle  body? weird thing is if i turn my key forward 3-4 times before i actually start it, it starts and idols just fine. fuel pressure and everything else it fine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived