Lug nuts

First, thank you in advance for any replies to this post and to all the posts that I read while fixing a broken mirror and leveled my 2014 Silverado.  I Ordered a set of wheels yesterday and I have read that I can't use my existing lug nuts.  I'm not sure why, but if I need to buy new ones, OK. The issue I am running into is, what lug nuts to buy?  Any recommendation would be grateful. I attached a photo of the wheels I bought for reference purposes.  Gear alloy 740B.

Thanks again!

Gear-Alloy-740B.jpg

After seeing you have a closed caps my guess is your wheels are duel drilled?

Most aftermarket wheels run a tapered hole along with the hole itself being narrower; especially ones that are duel drilled as a way of keeping as much metal as possible between each hole.

With that said you’ll want to look for whats referred to as spline drive lugs. There will be a ton of options based on how much you want to spend/what you want them made out of/ what color. Just make sure you choose one with the correct thread pitch.

*****P.S.

The lugs will come with a “special key” to put them on/take them off. Make sure you leave it in your glovebox after you install them! While the key itself is rather generic and most shops will have one laying around if you forget; it’s a completely different story if you’re road side with a flat. The factory lug wrench will not remove the spline drive lugs unless you have the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.  I contacted the manufacture on Thursday and didn't hear back, which prompted the post.  I will search the interwebs for a phone number and go that route.  I have also earmarked some spline drive lugs.   Will post a follow up when finished incase another newb like me is looking for assistance.

-IT-guy

I received a response from GA today;

Thanks for choosing Gear Alloy wheels for your Silverado. The lug nuts you need are 14 x 1.5 conical seat lug nuts. These are pretty common and can be found at most auto parts stores and tire shops. I hope this information is helpful.

If you get a chance, please check us out on social media.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Gearalloy/

Instagram - @gearalloy

Kind regards,

Steel wheel lugnuts used to be... cut at a different angle than aluminum wheel lugnuts. 

If your truck came with aluminum wheels, your factory lugnuts are fine.

Maybe today the steel wheel lugnuts are cut the same as alloy wheels....Go to a GM parts counter and have them check the part numbers to see if they are the same

Archived