Toolbox to Back Rack fill panel

For those of you running some sort of back rack/Head Rack etc and a toolbox, what have you done to fill in the gap between the two?

On my old truck I never got around to coming up with something to fill that 2-3" gap needed for the lid to open. I really want to do something on my new truck, but am having trouble finding ideas online of what to use.

Thinking about this I would run a piece of 1/4" plexi or pvc attached to the rack base to cover the gap. Then add a rubber stick on gasket along the edge where it would meet the toolbox. You would have to decide the best method for attaching it to the rack base. Epoxi/liquid nail or some kind of screw/bolt. 

Best part about using plastics is you can get them in just about any color and it would be super cheap to replace when needed. 

On 11/22/2017 at 3:39 PM, Goinovr said:

Thinking about this I would run a piece of 1/4" plexi or pvc attached to the rack base to cover the gap. Then add a rubber stick on gasket along the edge where it would meet the toolbox. You would have to decide the best method for attaching it to the rack base. Epoxi/liquid nail or some kind of screw/bolt. 

Best part about using plastics is you can get them in just about any color and it would be super cheap to replace when needed. 

Thanks, the attaching part has been the hardest part to figure out since the center portion is raised. I will look into the plastics/epoxy though, maybe bend a lip in it and glue to tool box.

For those of you running some sort of back rack/Head Rack etc and a toolbox, what have you done to fill in the gap between the two?
On my old truck I never got around to coming up with something to fill that 2-3" gap needed for the lid to open. I really want to do something on my new truck, but am having trouble finding ideas online of what to use.

All of our 2500 work trucks have toolboxes and headache racks installed like you’re asking with no gap. I can take a picture of a couple on Monday and ask my shop guys how they set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, the attaching part has been the hardest part to figure out since the center portion is raised. I will look into the plastics/epoxy though, maybe bend a lip in it and glue to tool box.

I would make cutouts for the uprights and overlap the horizontal supports. No lie, Velcro it. Good Velcro will make it dang near impossible to remove.

1 hour ago, Waaazooo said:

I would make cutouts for the uprights and overlap the horizontal supports. No lie, Velcro it. Good Velcro will make it dang near impossible to remove.

See, that's why I love forums like this, I never even thought of using velcro! That may just be the thing!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Have you purchased the box?  You can get tool boxes that fit flush to the back of your truck.

full1_16_14.jpg

Interesting box, never seen anything like that, do they come in the style that sit on the bed rails?

Unfortunately though I have already bought the tool box.

2 hours ago, moab11 said:

Interesting box, never seen anything like that, do they come in the style that sit on the bed rails?

Unfortunately though I have already bought the tool box.

There are a couple of shops nearby that specialize in aluminum fabrication.  One does truck bodies and trailers and the other one specializes in boat building.  They both stock truck boxes like the one in my picture.  They will also custom build to your specifications. The best thing about these boxes is they are constructed out of a heavy gauge and there is no worry about dents.  I can stand or sit on mine without worry.  I am sure there are similar shops in your area.  They could  fabricate an aluminum strip and tack it to your current box to make for a professional looking fit.

Archived