If you have Michelin Defender LTX Tires...

I have a '15 CC that came with Wrangler SR-A 265/65/18's. The tires have served me well for about two years and 40k miles. Even though there is still a reasonable amount of tread left, they need to go. In their current state, the wet road traction is suffering badly, and I can only imagine what will happen when the snow falls. I hooked up my 10k equipment trailer the other day (2500 lbs empty) and constantly lost traction with the rear wheels when pulling away from a stop on "damp" roads.

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S appears to be a better overall tire with a better treadwear rating (800 vs. 500) and a slightly higher load rating (about 100 pounds or so per tire, I believe). I've generally had good luck with Michelin tires, but I'm curious to get specific input from anyone that ran this exact tire on one of these trucks and can compare it to the Goodyear's for noise, wear, traction, etc.

I am -ONLY- looking for comments from folks that took the Wranglers off and put these exact Michelins on. I know there are a million other tires out there that are "great". Right now, I'm trying to understand what I'm in for if I swap to these tires.

If you happen to live in the rust belt, even better (and if you do, you know what that term means).  :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went from my Goodyears that were about 50% worn to the LTX Defenders last fall. The tires are awesome. They are about the same, if not a tad quieter. Traction is great. I spun in the rain with the Goodyear’s and these are awesome. I didn’t need to use 4x4 last winter at all. I only did because it’s my first 4x4. Treadwear is very good too. I have about 10k miles on them and they still look new. I’m very pleased and would buy again in a heartbeat. The $70 rebate I got too was cool. Free dinner!!

Im in Ohio too, so snow and rust here. Lol. 

I went from stock Goodyear’s to the defender LTX M/S. Compared to the Michelin’s, the Goodyear’s suck. Michelins are quieter, they ride better, traction in the rain is a lot better and traction in the snow is a lot better. Definitely worth every penny. I’m in MN. 

I went to this exact tire twice now on 2 trucks in this platform. The first truck had Bridgestones which were horrible and went through 9 of them on warranty. The Defender LTX was like a miracle on the truck in comparison. Quiet, compliant, smooth, great in the rain. On my new '17, I put 1000 miles on the Contientals and went to the Defender again and they are awesome. I do tow a bit, but only about 7000 lbs max. The sidewalls are a little softer which is why they ride so nice, so I find it necessary to pump the rear tires to the max PSI of 44 when towing. I am running 22" rims/tires. They balance out beautifully. My tire shop says they are the fix the problem tire. You may want to call a tech a tire rack regarding temperature. I am in Florida and they excellent all around but the furthest I tow up to is Va. and my cutoff weather wise was early November, so I don't do cold. 

I switched out the oem tires on my '00 Silverado, '09 Sierra, and '15 Sierra within the first year  with Michelin LTX MS tires.  Everytime  the experience has rivaled the feelings of getting a new truck.  The ride and traction are outstanding in all weather.  I highly recommend the Defender!

If you're going to be towing look at the heavier version 275/65R18 with max 80psi and load ~3,415lbs. the 265/65R18 is lighter version can do 44psi and ~2600lbs. Youll probably pick up some mileage as well.

Originally from Michigan I crisscrossed the country 5 times on my last set of these tires on 2002 F150 285/75R16. I put over 75K miles on them and they still have tread.

Thanks for some really good info. I was hoping that the sentiment would be that these are a much better tire.  :)

For towing: I have an equipment trailer that weights 2500 lbs empty. Being rated as 10k, I could haul 7500 lbs of cargo. While my tractor with implements is heavy, a pair of one ton pallets of heating bricks is actually heavier and likely to be the heaviest load I will carry. So, I expect to max out at 6500-7000 lbs gross weight connected to the truck. That would result in about 1000 lbs of tongue weight to be split between the rear tires (500 lbs each) on top of the weight of the rear of the truck. I carry little or nothing in the bed when I tow. And I seldom tow more than 10 miles.

So, the heavier load capacity for this tire versus the Goodyear combined with never having an issue with the Goodyear makes me feel like I will be ok.

8 minutes ago, ember1205 said:

Thanks for some really good info. I was hoping that the sentiment would be that these are a much better tire.  :)

For towing: I have an equipment trailer that weights 2500 lbs empty. Being rated as 10k, I could haul 7500 lbs of cargo. While my tractor with implements is heavy, a pair of one ton pallets of heating bricks is actually heavier and likely to be the heaviest load I will carry. So, I expect to max out at 6500-7000 lbs gross weight connected to the truck. That would result in about 1000 lbs of tongue weight to be split between the rear tires (500 lbs each) on top of the weight of the rear of the truck. I carry little or nothing in the bed when I tow. And I seldom tow more than 10 miles.

So, the heavier load capacity for this tire versus the Goodyear combined with never having an issue with the Goodyear makes me feel like I will be ok.

That much tongue weight requires a weight distributing hitch - even for my NHT - so even less weight on the rear tires.

Great info guys.

Long read, sorry.

Been looking at tires a lot so I can replace mine next fall.

I currently have Cooper ATP AT on my truck.

Been a good tire but getting louder with wear.

I tow a boat in summer, 4 K pounds, 400 lb tongue weight I think.

These tires got me through 2 feet of snow with drifts at 10 below zero.

We live on a rural road in the mountains of Colorado. 

Some steep grades to pull, turns, rocks.

The roads are county maintained to a point.

The main road off of the pavement they do an OK job of maintaining.

The road to our house not so good due to the fact there are 2 houses on it and we are the only full time residents.

The drive is a little steep from the road to the garage.

Last summer we had a lot of rain that caused some bad washouts and ruts.

I needed 4 wheel drive a few times to pull the grades on this road due to mud.

I had to call the county to get them to grade it.

I'm concerned about the Michelin in the LTX or MS performing to my needs.

Stock tire is 265/65/18.

The tread is not as aggressive as my Coopers being an AT tire.

Thoughts?:happysad:

Consumer Reports ranked the Defender 5th behind 

1 Continental Cross Contact LX20 EcoPlus

2 Michelin Premier LTX

3 Firestone Destination LE 2

4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde

I've always been a fan of Michelins and will probably be switching to them once my SRAs bite the dust.  Will wait for a Costco deal on a set of 4. 

37 minutes ago, bndawgs said:

2 Michelin Premier LTX

4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde

I've always been a fan of Michelins and will probably be switching to them once my SRAs bite the dust.  Will wait for a Costco deal on a set of 4. 

I'll take a look at the Premier, but expect that I'll end up with the Defender.

The Costo "deal" is for installation for a penny or whatever. It basically amounts to about a $50-$60 savings, and you can typically get the same -VALUE- from Town Fair tire where they will do the full alignment for $49 (which purchase of four tires) or just a front end alignment at no cost. If you take advantage of the Costco deal, you then have to pay additional for an alignment (which should be done when tires are replaced anyhow).

10 minutes ago, ember1205 said:

I'll take a look at the Premier, but expect that I'll end up with the Defender.

The Costo "deal" is for installation for a penny or whatever. It basically amounts to about a $50-$60 savings, and you can typically get the same -VALUE- from Town Fair tire where they will do the full alignment for $49 (which purchase of four tires) or just a front end alignment at no cost. If you take advantage of the Costco deal, you then have to pay additional for an alignment (which should be done when tires are replaced anyhow).

In the past, I've seen $70 off a set of 4 plus .01 installation per tire.  But yeah typically, it'll be the free installation.  

52 minutes ago, bndawgs said:

2 Michelin Premier LTX

4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde

My 2016 and 2017 Consumer Reports ranked Defender and the LTX MS2 it replaced number 1.  Did it change for 2018?

Archived