If you could/had to start over...

Go-Bucky

57 minutes ago, Largely Unknown said:

FYI: The 6.2 requires premium fuel ($). 

Premium fuel is RECOMMENDED, however not required. The engine will retard timing if pre-ignition is sensed. Power output will not be at its best with lower than 91 octane.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would by the exact same truck all over again. I would do a few less modifications or do them a bit differently but the canvas I started with is prefect. I'd also be a bit less trusting that the factory/dealership prepared it correctly and check everything. Alignment and balance. How the panels hang. Rubbers in the doors. Body plugs. Things like that. Fit and finish issues. 

I do not at all understand the it got in a wreck and get it fixed and trade it in, that is petty. It is in no way less safe or worse off from the factory (it could even be better in some instances with updates done or improved designed replacement parts). I have friends who work in insurance and the repair business, it is being unknowledgeable in following through with that thinking. I would keep driving the fixed truck and take the money for diminished value, you are just putting yourself further in a hole. 

BTW, Texas isn't any less a frame replacement state as any other, it is the value/cost that is the factor...

Tyler

If I could start over again I may not have bought my 2014 and kept my 2002 and got the rust patched up and a repaint and drove it another 12 years!  Love the power of the new 5.3 compared to my old one but damn I miss that truck.  Never gave me a problem, 4 speed trans was smooth as silk and better front ground clearance for getting to my hunting spots.  

I just upgraded my truck and I couldn’t be happier. My 14 was an TL with the all star pack. I bought it new in 14 and put nearly 80,000 miles on it. I loved the truck but there were lots of things that I wanted to change “Chevy shake” being one of them. It was also just a double cab and I hated it. It was too small back there to subject my friends and family to it and there wasn’t much space with the seats folded. I ended up completely removing the back seat to at least have a usable cargo space. The fact that is was only 2wd was only a problem once, but it was a constant worry every time I went out to the desert for camping.

I decided to just go for it and get a full on Denali with the 6.2 and I couldn’t be happier. It was not easy to find a CC 6.5’ bed but I’m really glad I stuck with it until I found one.

43 minutes ago, tnchevy said:

If I could start over again I may not have bought my 2014 and kept my 2002 and got the rust patched up and a repaint and drove it another 12 years!  Love the power of the new 5.3 compared to my old one but damn I miss that truck.  Never gave me a problem, 4 speed trans was smooth as silk and better front ground clearance for getting to my hunting spots.  

I know what you mean,I miss my 06 z71 I had that truck 9 1/2 years only thing replaced a front left hub assembly. I agree the new 5.3 has more power but my 06 had no afm to worry about. Sometimes I think I should have just keep it to.

When I started over, I kept my older truck and daily drive and take trips in a mid sized car. I even drove a mid sized SUV for a while. I didn’t get as tired, used way less gas and a similarly equipped car was much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are killing me, or more likely I am torturing myself!  Not to hijack this thread, but thought I would post here.  If this needs to be moved mods please move to the correct area.

I have a 99 Sierra that I purchased brand new in 1999.  First year for GMT 800.  Truck is a one owner, runs perfectly, has only seen 3 days of winter and the underbody was washed when I got home.  I have 193,000 miles on it and it runs JUST AWESOME.  It is in very nice condition and cost nothing to run, and well, some of you guys know where I am coming from.

I am wasting hours, days and weeks searching and lusting after a new 2017 or 2018. I am torn between giving up something that is tried and true, easy to maintain, doesn't shake, has a throttle cable (he he - simple and no delay) and likely will run until the day I croak.  But I really love the new trucks and have the wife's approval to purchase as we will travel trailer around the country in a few years together.

With say, $45k for a new one, and insurance increase of $600 per year over the current truck, this does not seem like a good proposition.  But the new trucks seem so fine.

So instead of asking "what would you have done different" I am asking "Is it worth the difference" for a new truck? 

That’s similar to what I did. I have a low mileage 92 Chevy, while it’s modified it’s still very reliable. My last new truck bought in 12-12-13 was a great deal 12K off. I still paid 31K out the door. Three years later I buy a Camry similarly equipped for 19K out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, nowicksl said:

You guys are killing me, or more likely I am torturing myself!  Not to hijack this thread, but thought I would post here.  If this needs to be moved mods please move to the correct area.

I have a 99 Sierra that I purchased brand new in 1999.  First year for GMT 800.  Truck is a one owner, runs perfectly, has only seen 3 days of winter and the underbody was washed when I got home.  I have 193,000 miles on it and it runs JUST AWESOME.  It is in very nice condition and cost nothing to run, and well, some of you guys know where I am coming from.

I am wasting hours, days and weeks searching and lusting after a new 2017 or 2018. I am torn between giving up something that is tried and true, easy to maintain, doesn't shake, has a throttle cable (he he - simple and no delay) and likely will run until the day I croak.  But I really love the new trucks and have the wife's approval to purchase as we will travel trailer around the country in a few years together.

With say, $45k for a new one, and insurance increase of $600 per year over the current truck, this does not seem like a good proposition.  But the new trucks seem so fine.

So instead of asking "what would you have done different" I am asking "Is it worth the difference" for a new truck? 

The OP's original question was, "If y’all had to replace yours... what would you do differently from your current baby?".  Your response is fine.  I owned a brand new 2000 Silverado for 9 yrs. and loved that truck.  I owned it longer than any other vehicle.  I refreshed it in 2009 and again in 2015.  If you are easy on your truck and aren't excited about getting a new one then keep what you have.  The OP may be facing mandatory replacement!

I bought a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Kodiak 4x4 5.3 DC in June. I really like this truck! I had a similar 2006 before that, which had over 200k miles on it when I sold it. I thought I liked it a lot, but I like the new one a whole lot more. Waaay better ride, handling, power, fuel mileage, etc. 

If I had to replace this one, I wouldn't do much different, as this one has pretty much all I want/need. I may add a front camera to this one to make it a bit easier to park, but that's about it.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:39 AM, Penguin VII said:

If I could start over again I'd go for a 2500 diesel, should have in the first place but it was just so damn expensive and I got a great deal on my 1500.

That said, for 1500 I'd do the following:

• SLT (lots of extra little features standard)
  • Heated/cooled seats (I didn't want leather but those cooled seats are awesome)
  • 6.2L (never enough power)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Center console (have the bench now, it's fine but that extra storage is nice)

Outside of the stock truck I'd prob go with a 4" lift over the 6". 2 inches isn't a ton and the wheels would fill the frame better I think. Went with 6" so I could stuff 37s under there but no way on earth I'm doing that while shes my daily.

In pickups,

15's were heated and cooled.

16's and up are heated and ventilated

IMHO, the 16 moves more air and as a result does a better job of cooling and drying than the 15 and earlier that had the 'Peltier' cooling devices....

Plus the 16 and up seats don't have the vents in the seatbacks dumping noise and heat  the rear area

Archived