Wireless USB Connector to Connect/Run Android Auto/Car Play?

No I have not figured out how to do it.... But I would like too and thought our collective knowledge might be able to come up with something... Can a USB Wi-Fi connector installed in the USB slots used for Android Auto or CarPlay be set up to relay the communication between our phones wifi connection and the head unit... The speeds seems fast enough. The size of the WiFi USB adapters seem small enough. Do or can these adapters be used to pass the data needed back and forth as an access port? Just thinking how we can use both wireless charging and Wi-Fi to connect the phone to the head unit.. Any thoughts before I start buying wifi USB connections to test?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m not sure the protocols would transfer the same. It would depend on how data is being transferred from the phone to the usb and then wirelessly across and if the signal is processed on the computer side or not. It might be cool for someone to microsolder up a lightning adapter to a magnet mount inside a case so when you put it on the magnet mount it connects it to the car usb?

Agreed on the protocols that is what my concern is as well.... Last I had read the MyLink/IntelliLink systems is Linux based... I found a few wifi adapters that are designed to work with Linux along with many other OS but was not sure if they required driver downloads to work correctly. I know we won't be able to download drivers without other manipulations to the head unit. Is there a change in the format of the data coming from the phone to the wifi usb adapter through the usb port to the head unit? ... If so is there something out there or adapter that is designed to act like it is a USB wire just like it were a cable instead of being wireless. Thanks for the thoughts on it.

Agreed on the protocols that is what my concern is as well.... Last I had read the MyLink/IntelliLink systems is Linux based... I found a few wifi adapters that are designed to work with Linux along with many other OS but was not sure if they required driver downloads to work correctly. I know we won't be able to download drivers without other manipulations to the head unit. Is there a change in the format of the data coming from the phone to the wifi usb adapter through the usb port to the head unit? ... If so is there something out there or adapter that is designed to act like it is a USB wire just like it were a cable instead of being wireless. Thanks for the thoughts on it.

Almost always an accessory like that is going to seek the native OS for a compatible driver if it’s a lightweight WiFi usb. I think that’s what’s going to be the hurdle, it may be Linux based but it’s not Linux so it doesn’t have kernels packets for it. That being said it might still work? It just all depends if the information is turned back into usable data prior to, or after the Native OS begins reading it.

Almost always an accessory like that is going to seek the native OS for a compatible driver if it’s a lightweight WiFi usb. I think that’s what’s going to be the hurdle, it may be Linux based but it’s not Linux so it doesn’t have kernels packets for it. That being said it might still work? It just all depends if the information is turned back into usable data prior to, or after the Native OS begins reading it.
OK.. I will keep checking on items or details about the OS.. I may by a couple of the WiFi USB ports online and see if one can naturally communicate. If anyone else has tried this or has some good information to share about the system please feel free to share.

Archived