Disconnecting Backup Camera Harness

Posted this elsewhere but it didn't get any attention so I'll try again here.

I'm trying to take the tail gate off my 2017 Silverado so I can get a light bar on.  Before I do that, I have to disconnect the backup camera from its wiring harness next to frame crossmember behind the spare tire.  I've been messing with the thing for about an hour and for the love of God I cannot the connector to come off.

I unlocked the red tab like you're supposed to.  Then I pushed down on the black piece in the middle of it, I can hear it sort of click/creak as it raises the little plastic clip.  I know I'm using the right technique to get this thing off, but for the life of me I can't get the thing to come apart.  Taking your tailgate off really isn't that uncommon of a thing to do, so anybody experienced this before/got any tips?  Electrical connectors and I have a bad history but I've never experienced anything this bad.  My fingers were still hurting 2 days later.

• 1 year later...

Let's see....in order to remove my tailgate I first have to lower my spare tire. After I tried for 15 minutes to see if (I being smarter than everyone else) could snake my hand in there and ...presto disconnected.

So the spare tire is down, I see the connector w/red tab. 10 minutes later and a few wtf s and I'm googling just how exactly do I seperate a male and female connector very similar to the old style ...which Idk about you but they never just worked apart all by themselves. So an hour or so later and a few bloddy knuckles it's apart. Wtf

• 11 months later...

Posted this elsewhere but it didn't get any attention so I'll try again here.

I'm trying to take the tail gate off my 2017 Silverado so I can get a light bar on.  Before I do that, I have to disconnect the backup camera from its wiring harness next to frame crossmember behind the spare tire.  I've been messing with the thing for about an hour and for the love of God I cannot the connector to come off.

I unlocked the red tab like you're supposed to.  Then I pushed down on the black piece in the middle of it, I can hear it sort of click/creak as it raises the little plastic clip.  I know I'm using the right technique to get this thing off, but for the life of me I can't get the thing to come apart.  Taking your tailgate off really isn't that uncommon of a thing to do, so anybody experienced this before/got any tips?  Electrical connectors and I have a bad history but I've never experienced anything this bad.  My fingers were still hurting 2 days later.

You are doing it correctly. I just put a light bar on my 2015 which the tailgate was never removed. Those connectors are tight but take your time and wiggle it a little as you pull and it will come off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk