Buyback- minor reason listed

I’m working with a Chevy dealer in central Maryland on a purchase of a 2016 Silverado 1500, 5.3L, RWD. The dealer disclosed that it was a buyback. The salesman showed me the documentation and the listed reason for the buyback was “outside temperature gauge not accurate”. I’m worried that the listed reason may be bogus...that seems to be a minor nit and not worthy of a buyback. I plan to request the full service records and copies of the buyback paperwork. The Carfax is linked here 

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CBT_4&vin=3GCPCRECXGG176962&cs:rv=B4031E32744CBE3267E395EA9B4CF581

The dealer is reputable and we’ve purchased from them before. Any takes on what kind of situation I’m looking at here?  Thanks for your opinions and advice. 

Trust your gut. The buy back has you worried, worried enough for you to come and make a tread about it. Walk away from the truck and look at many others truck out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Boardmember said:

GM reconditions before putting back on the market.  I’m told. 

No they don't. Bought a 2016 Sierra with 9,000 miles from a Ford dealership.

Ford bought it at auction......after GM bought it back from Uhaul....was a Uhaul rental.  .....GM sold it at Auto auction.

I bought it cheap... Took back to GM and made them fix all that was wrong with it under warranty.

Truck still has the Uhaul sticker on the fuse box not to pull fuses to disable odometer.

Looking at that history of frequent tuneups, tire checks and transmission checks over just a few thousand miles, I would guess that they owner turned it in for shaking or something similar.

Walk away.

Welcome to this forum!  You will find a lot of useful information here.  In my opinion, you should only buy this truck as a second vehicle and if you get it for a price well below market value.  I would not buy it believing it is an affordable way to get a newer truck as my primary transportation.   It is branded and always will have this title.  Your trade-in or resale will never be market value.

14 hours ago, Skywalker49 said:

I’m working with a Chevy dealer in central Maryland on a purchase of a 2016 Silverado 1500, 5.3L, RWD. The dealer disclosed that it was a buyback. The salesman showed me the documentation and the listed reason for the buyback was “outside temperature gauge not accurate”. I’m worried that the listed reason may be bogus...that seems to be a minor nit and not worthy of a buyback. I plan to request the full service records and copies of the buyback paperwork. The Carfax is linked here 

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CBT_4&vin=3GCPCRECXGG176962&cs:rv=B4031E32744CBE3267E395EA9B4CF581

The dealer is reputable and we’ve purchased from them before. Any takes on what kind of situation I’m looking at here?  Thanks for your opinions and advice. 

You are much better off pursuing a truck that only might be a piece of crap. I think there is a very high liklihood that the dealer is not being straight with you.

I agree with what's been said. The best used trucks I've ever bought - I knew the first time I looked at it that it was good. I had a feeling it was good. The ones where you think about it and struggle to decide what to do - those tend not to work out in my experience. Trust your gut. The fact that you asked for opinions on it says that you are suspicious. And likely rightfully so. Dealers lie for a living in many cases they are not to be trusted. If it was me I'd pass it up or contact the original owner(s) and find out the real story. 

15 minutes ago, SierraDually said:

I agree with what's been said. The best used trucks I've ever bought - I knew the first time I looked at it that it was good. I had a feeling it was good. The ones where you think about it and struggle to decide what to do - those tend not to work out in my experience. Trust your gut. The fact that you asked for opinions on it says that you are suspicious. And likely rightfully so. Dealers lie for a living in many cases they are not to be trusted. If it was me I'd pass it up or contact the original owner(s) and find out the real story. 

How does one contact previous owners? This would be a wonderful resource if it were possible, assuming previous owners were OK with it. I think you would stand a much better chance of getting honest info.

15 hours ago, Skywalker49 said:

There is no way that it was bought back for a stupid little thing like that. That's a warranty fix and nothing more.

This truck has issues. Guaranteed!

RUN!!!

Archived