What if?

kstruckcountry

I have had my 2006 for over 6 years and 80,000 miles. It has been a really good vehicle, costing almost nothing in repairs (around $400/year). I've had some great road trips and adventures in it. It doesn't have the power of the new pickups, but plenty of creature comforts. Auto dual zone AC, dimming mirrors, mirror and rear window defrost. I've added a 6" Pioneer with bluetooth and a wireless charger. On top of that, it has what I believe to be the most comfortable bucket seats ever.

The other day I realized I have no idea what I'd do if something happened to it. I considered all of these option, still no idea.

1. Find another 2006/7c Silverado or Sierra with low miles. Add everything I currently have and keep rolling.

2. Buy a new or nearly new Colorado ZR2. A ZR2 could handle 99% of my occasional towing, and would be comfortable on rough roads. Even better go-anywhere ability than my 2006.

3. Buy a new or nearly new 2500 with 6.0 V8. The durability of the 3/4 ton along with the 6.0 is really attractive. The capacity is overkill for me, but it should hold up really well.

4. New or nearly new Ford F150 5.0. I think the 5.0 is the best engine Ford makes. The big draw here is the available 35 gallon fuel tank, which I don't believe is available on anything else I listed. Better range than the others with the big tank.

Any thoughts? Has anybody here switched from an older pickup to one of these options? Hopefully I can keep driving this pickup for another 160,000 miles, but I want to have my ducks in a row just in case.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i had an 07 classic rcsb, 4.3 five speed, now a 2016 ccsb 2500hd 6.0.  both base models.  i was a single man when i had the 07, wife, two kids, two dogs later and i need way more room so we can road trip together.  

personally, i think creature comforts, ride quality, and general refinement are vastly overemphasized by most people.  i would have no qualms whatsoever driving an older truck, and in fact i still often do - i have a 72 k10 as well.

the reason i drive a new truck is simply reliability - i want to absolutely minimize the chance of breaking down or spending time in the shop.  mostly because i am ridiculously busy and do not want the hassle, but also because i like to visit remote areas where a breakdown would be incredibly inconvenient.

none of that tells you what it is right for you, although it may be useful just to hear someone else give their reasoning for driving whatever they drive, so there's mine.

I have done this, over thinking things before they happen.

Spend time doing research and when the moment arrives things have changed or my options aren't the same due to prices or availability.

Cross the bridge when needed. :chill:

:happysad:

It sounds like you are open to all types of trucks!  GM -Ford,  Mid-size -3/4 ton, and Used - New.   I also have a wide range of likes.  I found most of my needs met in a '15  Sierra 1/2 ton, 4.3 L,  4X4, CC Std. bed, and well appointed interior with leather.  A manual transmission would have made it 100% for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I too can't complain about my 08. Had it since new and it's given me very little trouble but it's getting older and I too have been considering what to do. In my case the 1500 is a perfect fit for me in room, power, capabilities etc so I will very likely be getting another one with everything mine has plus a couple new options hopefully. But everyone is different of course.

Although a 2500 is definitely attractive for me it's way more truck than I can justify. 

I've seen a couple ZR2 Colorado's and I have to admit they're nice looking but I would miss my full size truck... 

Again I can only say what I would do... 

• 2 weeks later...
The 2500 has a 35ish gallon tank...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Good to know, for some reason I was thinking the only way to get the 35 gal was on a chassis cab.

My last oil analysis came back very good. The truck still doesn't use any oil between changes, which I am really happy with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I can justify the 2500 for you. Pop the hood, it still has a steering gear box.

1500's now have the electric steering....that fails when a cell in the battery dies, a bad ground or bad battery cable.

Stay with vehicles you can steer if SHTF.

2 hours ago, Paintor said:

I can justify the 2500 for you. Pop the hood, it still has a steering gear box.

1500's now have the electric steering....that fails when a cell in the battery dies, a bad ground or bad battery cable.

Stay with vehicles you can steer if SHTF.

They have electric assisted steering instead of hydro assist. Still have steering boxes and hard linkage. Same thing happens to it as happens to hydro when it fails. You get introduced to 1940's steering. 

How does this stuff get started? 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

They have electric assisted steering instead of hydro assist. Still have steering boxes and hard linkage. Same thing happens to it as happens to hydro when it fails. You get introduced to 1940's steering. 

How does this stuff get started? 

have you read the threads or watched the youtube videos where the 1500's electric steering jerks the wheel out of drivers hands? The 1500's electric steering goes squirrely when there is a low voltage/dead cell in the battery. 

2500's still have old fashioned steering gear boxes....still can control the wheel no matter what.

2 hours ago, Paintor said:

have you read the threads or watched the youtube videos where the 1500's electric steering jerks the wheel out of drivers hands? The 1500's electric steering goes squirrely when there is a low voltage/dead cell in the battery. 

2500's still have old fashioned steering gear boxes....still can control the wheel no matter what.

Nope. Didn't watch the video. Own the truck. :lol:

Archived