repair or remanufactured engine

I have a 2007 Tahoe 5.3L LMG (AFM) 4x4 LTZ.   Truck has 190k on it.  The other day it developed a very rough idle and flashing CEL.  Prior to this there was no indication of a problem.  Scanner says misfire cylinder 1.   I do all of my testing that I can do such as spark plugs, wires, verify injector signal with noid light etc.  End up using compression tester to find 0 PSI on #1 and other cylinders at 110-120 PSI.  During one of the compression test on #1 the gauge jumped to 60 PSI then next cycle dropped to 0 (unsure how to interpret that).  Took truck to local shop and despite my efforts to inform them of the AFM lifter issues that could be causing this loss of compression they basically said that based on the 190k mileage i should only consider replacing with long block rather than repair the heads.  They then quote $6600 for Jasper reman and install.  

So to my question... Are they right the I should do a reman long block or consider repairing heads?  I know I have been lucky to get that kind of mileage without issue but just wondering what others would do.  Truck is in great condition otherwise and I plan to keep for the foreseeable future.  Thanks for your help.

I have since talked to a different mechanic who is in a much smaller shop and said he could do a NAPA reman  and install for 4300.  Since everyone so far seems to think new motor is the route to go I think that is the smartest.  What do you think of NAPA remanufactured long block?  I feel like every brand of remanufactured engine has bad reviews online.  The GM long block... is that a brand new motor or is  that just rebuild from GM? Sorry for the dumb question.

24 minutes ago, carnau said:

I really like Oriley's warranty program better than anyone elses. GM motors are always reman.

They maybe remans. I don't think so.

You can get a new motor IMO.

I know the transmissions are remans but the quality is far better than others.

Call a dealer.

:happysad:

Thanks for the info.  Local dealer quoted 4200 for GM long block remanufactured.  Since I am spending this kind of money I want to do it right to make sure I get the most from the car so I may just go with the dealer.  Question is though has GM done anything to address the issue with AFM which presumably led to the failure in the first place.  I don't discount the fact that the motor has 190k on it so maybe it wasn't AFM but just curious if the new motor will have the same potential problem.  

Warranty on the dealer motor compared to others?

Ask the dealer your questions or call GM direct.

I put a dealer reman trans in  my old truck myself.

Better warranty. 3yr. 36 K miles. All others 12 months or 12 K miles.

I was told the GM trans was rebuilt to original spec. All parts  the didn't meet spec were replaced.

The other guys standard rebuild price is a clutch pack and new seals plus other parts if needed.

The rebuilt trans I put in shifted better than the original.

:happysad:

20 minutes ago, jgrove64 said:

has GM done anything to address the issue with AFM which presumably led to the failure in the first place.  I don't discount the fact that the motor has 190k on it so maybe it wasn't AFM but just curious if the new motor will have the same potential problem.  

That's a problem. Presumption. Did you pull a rocker cover and observe the valve action? There are a dozen things that could have happened other than.....Ever consider it could be as simple as a plugged oil line to the lifter? 

Potential is always there for trouble. Ten years and 200,000 miles is no small feat. As for have they done anything? Ask!

2 hours ago, jgrove64 said:

Thanks for the info.  Local dealer quoted 4200 for GM long block remanufactured.  Since I am spending this kind of money I want to do it right to make sure I get the most from the car so I may just go with the dealer.  Question is though has GM done anything to address the issue with AFM which presumably led to the failure in the first place.  I don't discount the fact that the motor has 190k on it so maybe it wasn't AFM but just curious if the new motor will have the same potential problem.  

I am a tech at a dealership. Been doing this 17 years at the current dealership I am at. With that being said... Mechanical failures happen. I have seen them happen at 10,000 miles and 400,000 miles. Everything will break eventually. That's why I have a job. =-)

With that being said. They have Update the Valve lifter oil manifold and the lifters themselves.

GM engines are 3 year 100k mile warranty, and that warranty is valid at any GM dealer in the continental US if you have a problem. 

IMO, if the cam is good, new AFM lifters for each AFM cylinder, a new VLOM and gaskets might just do the job even at 190k.  However, I'd say if you have any oil consumption issues, a new engine might be the better choice.   

33 minutes ago, newdude said:

GM engines are 3 year 100k mile warranty, and that warranty is valid at any GM dealer in the continental US if you have a problem. 

IMO, if the cam is good, new AFM lifters for each AFM cylinder, a new VLOM and gaskets might just do the job even at 190k.  However, I'd say if you have any oil consumption issues, a new engine might be the better choice.   

This is also my opinion. If you have good oil pressure I would just throw lifters, a VLOM and possibly a camshaft if there was any pitting. Also if I replaced the camshaft it would get a new oil pump and timing chain tensioner. The lower end of the 5.3's are indestructible. Cam bearing maybe if the oil pressure is under 20 but if you're running 25 up there is no way I would put a new engine in this.

Archived