09 2500HD - HELP Can't get 4wd Engaged Grind Neutral

frased

I reused mine on my NP261HD.  I spread it with a screwdriver (carefully, so the rubber boot and the clamp don't get damaged), and reclamped it using an end-cutter (not enough force to cut, just to pull the crimped part of it back together.  Still holding fine after a year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, davester said:

Can't say how it should feel, as I would expect it to be different than a manual one.

At this point, you've confirmed that the problem is inside the transfer case.  Time to whip it out and see what's wrong inside.

Yup...  and another discovery when I pull the drain plug (didn't know it was magnetic) it had metal shavings all over it.  :-(  

Truck is useless here in the snow without the 4wd online.  I get stuck traversing a napkin it seems like.  

Hey all the gasket that goes between the 2 x transfer case halves when reassembling...  does it exist?  I cannot find this thing anywhere.  

I bought the gasket that goes between the xfer case and transmission mount that was easy.  

Hello all.  Well I have the case out and already have it opened up.  I've attached 2 videos of mostly the same content to show you my issue.  

It's the center shaft is not sliding up the fork for engagement.  Like something is missing there.  

I think it might be this I found from an article related to my case...  

Won’t Shift NQF (electric shift model) applications may experience shift problems on early design units (2007-2009). If the condition is present, the transfer case may fail to complete the shift or it may fail to shift again once the shift has been completed. In addition, you may find a DTC C0387 or C0569 in TCCM memory. NQF Models — The snap ring (#15 in parts book) on the shift shaft may have popped out of its snap ring grove. This is due to the end thrust on the snap ring during the shift. To repair the condition, an updated shift shaft has been developed. The updated shaft has a flange built into it to prevent the end thrust from reaching the snap ring. To repair the condition, you’ll need to install the updated shaft and hardware. As noted in the picture, the position of the components will change with the 2nd design shaft and hardware. The updated parts are: • Shaft 19210805 • Cam 19210806

060907TX04-310.JPG

Yeah, that shaft rotates, and as it does, part 14 rotates with it, and, based on where the notch is in part 14, the fork is either pushed away to engage 4wd, or allowed to come a little closer and you are in 2wd.

It looks like part 14 is held in place by part 15 (the snap ring mentioned in the text), and if the snap ring has come out of it's groove, then part 14 can move away from the shift fork (part 13), and then will no longer be able to engage 4wd.

I would suggest pulling the shift shaft and verifying that the snap ring is out of place, and if so, buying the updated parts mentioned in the text to repair the problem.

I would also check that the bearings all feel good (that you can't feel much play in them) and that the wear pads on both shift forks still on them and not worn out.

24 minutes ago, davester said:

Yeah, that shaft rotates, and as it does, part 14 rotates with it, and, based on where the notch is in part 14, the fork is either pushed away to engage 4wd, or allowed to come a little closer and you are in 2wd.

It looks like part 14 is held in place by part 15 (the snap ring mentioned in the text), and if the snap ring has come out of it's groove, then part 14 can move away from the shift fork (part 13), and then will no longer be able to engage 4wd.

I would suggest pulling the shift shaft and verifying that the snap ring is out of place, and if so, buying the updated parts mentioned in the text to repair the problem.

I would also check that the bearings all feel good (that you can't feel much play in them) and that the wear pads on both shift forks still on them and not worn out.

Thanks davester! You called it early on man thanks! Snap ring issue. Definitely grabbing the updated parts replacement ASAP.

Hopefully I’m not down long term. Didn’t call around ahead of time so I’m in overdrive now. 

The full-service manual for my truck doesn't specify what to use for the transfer case (as it only has repair procedures for stuff you can do without splitting the case), and I didn't get a repair manual for the TC when I rebuilt mine, but I used this sealant, which seems to match what GM specified for the flange on the front diff:

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/permatex-high-temperature-anaerobic-flange-sealant/

Still seems happy after a year.

Archived