New owner of a '99 2dr Tahoe Z71 - need some help

Been a member here for a long time, but not active for quite a while.

Just got a new-to-me '99 Z71 2dr Tahoe in indigo blue.  Have a few quick issues that I want to discuss before I tear into it.  It is a LS trim, Z71, 3.73s, non-G80 (what...?), cloth, power driver's seat, top-level sound system (cassette and CD), barn doors. 

1.  The driver's door lock actuator is weak.  When I look at replacements I get two different styles.  I am guessing this is because it's a '99 and still part of the GMT 400 family (born in Dec 98).  I'd rather not take the door panel off to find out what it looks like.  Anyone have a part number or photo of exactly what is needed...?

2.  It's push-button-4wd (not what I preferred, but...).  The buttons work but the indicator lights do not stay on.  My first thought is it could be the sensors on the front axle and/or transfer case.  I'd like to know what others have experienced with this.  I haven't observed anything blatantly wrong with the wiring, connections, etc.

3.  She goes down the road like a dream, but seems a little gutless when you get down on the throttle hard.  My first inclination is to put a fuel filter on it.  It has had a recent tune-up and runs smooth (new air filter, wires, etc).  This is the first 88-99 I have owned personally, but I used to maintain my father-in-law's '91 SCSB 4x4.  Lots of bolt on mods I did to it and it was not gutless when I started with it.  Not horrible, but not what I expected.  Truck has sat so the gas might be a bit weak.

4.  Rear diff.  Looks like a 12-bolt.  Books say 12-bolt.  I want to put a lunch-box locker in it now (to get me through winter) and later I'll put something better in.  Is it a standard 8.75 or an 8.5...?  Please don't make me crawl on the cold ground to get the codes off it.

Bummer....county clerk's office wasn't open today so I can't drive it until Monday.  Been cleaning it, lubing hinges, replacing bulbs, and making a list of stuff I want and need.  Needs a belt and tensioner.  Ordering a weather-tech cargo liner.  Looking at outside mirrors.  Mine are unheated (pretty sure the wiring is there) and small.  Looking at other factory offerings that will fit, are power adj, and have a bigger field of view.  Tiny things they put on there (SMH).  Driver's side door entry switch is a little broke so getting a pair of those.  The spare appears to have never been moved since new.  I plan to put a hitch on it.  It came with the towing package - minus a hitch.  I've checked all the RPO codes and it indeed has the tow pkg.  It's like ALMOST the exact truck I would have ordered except just a few things.  I might post pictures tomorrow.  She isn't ugly.

1.pass

2:As far as the 4x4 selector buttons...ive had the same issues in a 97 Yukon and a 99 Tahoe. If you press the button kind of hard and fast with your finger you can get the lights to come on. But that's not good for verifying what 4x4 mode you have selected. It will go out again. I haven't been bothered enough to care. I have an extra 4x4 panel from the scrap yard that I never got around to putting in. However when I was recently changing my fan selector switch for the a/c, I had the dash panel loose so I could get in there and I noticed the wiring was the trick.  if I jiggled the wires going into the 4x4 panel then the light would come on and stay on until I let go of the wire. Probably a loose wire in that connector. From tilt steering constantly pulling on it slightly whenever it's tilted up or down maybe. Whatever the reason, most of these trucks that I've owned have had this issue. It has never affected the performance of the 4x4 for me so I haven't bothered but if I were going to attempt a fix id probably verify good wire connections at the cable connector that plugs into the selector switch, then replace the selector switch panel if the wires alone are not a fix. Those panels pop right out with a flat head driver from the back side. Easy and quick to replace and find. 

3/spider fuel injector upgrade is said to boost performance on an already good running engine. I haven't done one and could t tell you. But one of these days when I have the time or I do my next fuel pressure reg I'll do it. It's about $350 be careful if getting from a parts store. Make sure you get the upgraded version. Search the forum for spider injector or something similar. It's been covered lots of times. Install is not bad.in general I don't find a 5.7 Vortec has a lot of power. It's a fuel economy trade off. But if you drove a chev cavalier before then a 5.7 has power. If you had a 454 before then the 5.7 seems a little weak. But they are damn good reliable motors that are easy to work on, cheap on parts, and last damn near forever if taken care of at all. It's not hauling a 27' camper through the mountains for 2 days but for average or normal towing uses its more than adequate for me. 

4:as for the rear diff, I've always had the g80 so can't help much there. But you said you checked all the rpo codes . Isn't all that rear diff info contained in there? Probably not or you wouldn't be asking.

did I miss it or did you mention how many miles your new truck has on it? I'm assuming it's got a 5.7? I don't think there are any factory wires in those mirrors for a heated option. I don't think any of the obs trucks 88-99 had a heated mirror factory option but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. 

Good luck with your new tuck 

Here's the lock actuator that I used on my 98. It'd be the same as your 99.

be7df748e3687f9b37da0ab296ddfec9.jpg

If you remove the 4x4 switch and separate it, you'll see solder joints for the light bulbs. See if they're cracked. Heat them up and/or resolder.

On mine, the orange indicator light would only come on if you pressed on the bezel surrounding the buttons (where 4x4 is stamped). Reheating the solder joints fixed that.

I'd agree that the MPFI swap is an improvement over the original injectors. It really improved throttle response on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info on the door lock actuator.

Spider - yeah I put the Delphi in my '97 blazer and it made a world of difference.  Figured the '99 would have been this way too.  Guess I will be shopping for a good deal on one for this rig.

A limited-slip or locker is a must for me in a 4wd.  I have always been a firm believer that if you don't have one end locked you are basically driving a 2wd vehicle....one in front and one in back.  I've done my fair share of off-roading (trail-riding).  I keep a recovery bag in my DD that I have used to pull a few folks out of a tight spot....   The Tahoe will eventually see this type of duty, but not until she's capable.  As a replacement  DD....she's fine.

The truck has 129,000 miles.  Today I cleaned it up more, changed the tension&belt, and put in a new PCV valve.  Other stuff is on order.  I have plans for it, but most will wait until after the holidays.

Archived