Hey everyone,

I've owned lifted and lowered vehicles for years, but typically bought them way way. I've never actually done much of the customization myself. 

I know someone will say something like, try searching the site.....blah, blah, blah. Well, I have and there's so much good (and BS) information out there that it makes my head spin.

Let me see if I can sum this up as quickly as possible. I have a 2016 Crew Cab 4x4 Silverado (deep ocean blue metallic) that I bought new last year. I had a leveling kit installed at the dealership (it was cheaper than the other places that I talked with), my truck came with 17's, which I absolutely hate. They're super tiny and look out of place.

My plan is to upgrade to 20's and I want to put the largest tire that I can fit without rubbing. I've read about people putting 32, 33 & 34 inch tires on and claim that none of them rub. I'm not so confident about their claims.

My other dilemma is that I do no like the look when the tires stick out several inches from the wheel well. That may be great for some people, but not for me. Ideally, I would like the tires to be flush with the wheel wells, but if they were to stick out a half an inch or so I would be ok with that.

This is where we have to deal with backspacing. I'm sure that it is a simple concept, but it confuses me for some reason. A little bit too much, or too little, will make things look silly.

I'm assuming that a 20x9 or 20x10 would be the best option, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you guys, and gals, think.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Look for a set of GM 20" take offs.  This will ensure proper offset.  You can also achieve a similar diameter wheel by tire size.  GM  1500 series trucks come from the factory with similar diameter wheels regardless of their rim size. Although you say it's blah, blah, blah, there is a lot of good information on this topic in the Tires, Wheels and TPMS section.  I think 17's look great especially with a beefy sidewall.

I think that a 20x9 wheel with a +12 to stock +27 offset will fit the bill.  Any less offset or a wider 10 inch plus wheel will stick out too far for your liking.   If your leveling kit is 2-2.5 inch you should be able to fit 275/60, 275/65, 285/55, 285/60, 295/55, 295/60, 305/55, and 33 x12.5 x20 tires.  Depending on the tread design Highway, All Terrain, Rugged/Rough, and Mud Terrains you will either not rub the fender liner or rub quite a bit.  Have stock All Terrain 20 inch wheels with 33 x 12.5 Toyo Open Country RT and have slight rub on fender liner and sway bar while reversing and turning at full lock.  

Good luck YMMV. 

Thanks for all of the input. Here's what I've narrowed it down to.

Wheels: 20x10 (I'm not certain of the offset right now. I left my paper at home)

Tires: 285/55R20

I'll put some pictures and see what you guys think.

Also, I'm planning on adding fender flares too. That's why I'm ok with them sticking out more than I originally said.

side.jpg

front.jpg

Archived