Paint defects, buyback lemon law?

Just bought a brand new 2017 Silverado  crew cab silver ice metallic.  I've noticed the paint is terrible, my hood and fenders have terrible runs in the paint and there are several chips on the truck less than 300 miles. I didn't notice it at the dealer but upon inspection at home and cleaning the truck I found everything that I could see is mostly manufacturer defects in the paint has anyone had any luck with a buyback or lemon law I just spent $55,000 on the truck and I'm not going to have it repainted. 

55K is a lot of money for a year-end truck.  Runs and chips in the paint would lead me to suspect some issues between manufacture and delivery to you.  Take it up with your dealer and keep detailed notes of your conversations.  Keep us posted.

Dude my stone blue has those runs, I couldn’t believe it. Took it to dealer they opened a ticket but I hadn’t been back yet to have the SM take a look at it.

The service writer noticed the runs and said he would hate to break factory clear coat but would let the SM make the call

I talked to the manager today, he said he would be getting gm involved. It's a 2017 cc 6.2 ltz.  I will know more when I get to talk to them again. I traded in my 2 Month old 5.3 for the 6.2. I and just curious if they will try to put me in my old truck which I don't want. How does buy back work of that is how this goes. Fist call about the issue was to bring into the body shop and go over/ fix  it which I said no.  No way am I having it painted. It had 305 miles on it that are mostly from the ride home.

Sounds like you have a lot going on. What happened with the 2 month old truck?  Was the paint ok on that one?  I've never seen a sagging factory paint job and look forward to hearing what the GM rep has to say.  If your new truck is perfect except for the paint,  I wouldn't refuse a re-paint by a reputable shop.  You can be sure that the new paint job will be to your satisfaction and probably of a higher quality than a factory paint job!

Being an ex s/m and then a factory service rep ( not GM ) they will not buy back as lemon law as it requires repair attempts , time out of service etc at least in the states where I called on.   I agree repainting is not a best scenario but have had vehicles repainted that were better than  factory. Also have had some worse. Best deal is to work with dealer. Been down this road with several customers over the years and I understand how you feel. You will have to decide how bad it really is.  Not a good situation for you , dealer or manufacturer.  Good luck. 

Having done 2 lemons with ford in past 20 months I now own a 2017 Sierra 

lemons are mot easy, and paint is not a safety concern but it does meet a value concern 

most states have their own rules, for Florida it’s 15 days out of service, 3 repair attempts, and must demonstrate a safety or value issue 

my fords leaked water water in the cab with every rain storm

so safety was due to mold and that also affected value

2015 was in the shop 77 days before ford replaced with a 2017, when that one hit day 25 I told them buy it back, 2 months later I was in the gmc

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Sounds like you have a lot going on. What happened with the 2 month old truck?  Was the paint ok on that one?  I've never seen a sagging factory paint job and look forward to hearing what the GM rep has to say.  If your new truck is perfect except for the paint,  I wouldn't refuse a re-paint by a reputable shop.  You can be sure that the new paint job will be to your satisfaction and probably of a higher quality than a factory paint job!

Nothing wrong with the 2 month old truck , I just wanted a 6.2 and they had what I wanted and we made a deal.

10 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

Just bought a brand new 2017 Silverado  crew cab silver ice metallic.  I've noticed the paint is terrible, my hood and fenders have terrible runs in the paint and there are several chips on the truck less than 300 miles. I didn't notice it at the dealer but upon inspection at home and cleaning the truck I found everything that I could see is mostly manufacturer defects in the paint has anyone had any luck with a buyback or lemon law I just spent $55,000 on the truck and I'm not going to have it repainted. 

I have worked at a GM Dealership for 17 years and I have only seen one lemon law buyback and it was because the engine dropped a piston and it came out the block and the man didn't want to have a truck with a different engine.

This is what warranty is for. To fix any and all BUMPER to BUMPER defects you find within the 3/36 on the vehicle. Everything is man made and subject to failure. Just make sure it is absolutely as close to perfect as you can get. Don't accept anything less. But they will say that you should have inspected the vehicle closer before you signed the contract to buy the vehicle. Which is kinda true. I wouldn't be too upset unless you can't get it fixed. It was painted before. The truck wasn't made that color. So let someone paint it again. Even if they have to replace the painted components (Hood, fenders, ect...) to get it right.

Lemon law only works for things repaired and not resolved if I understand?  Paint issues are a warranty deal, and GM would have it re-painted. 

In Massachusetts, Impaired market value is part of the lemon law. To prove the market value impairment, you must show that your vehicle is worth at least 10% less than it would be without the defect. The best way to prove this is by having your car appraised.
Not sure if the OP’s state has any clause like this or if it would play a role in a defective paint job, but it may be worth checking in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived