About to buy a Sierra 1500... Would like your input

ARCH89

Hey Everyone,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2017 or 2018 Sierra 1500 SLT. My main issue right now is do I  buy one on the lot with the standard V8 (5.3) or do I order one with the 6.2 L? I tow a 5000 lb travel trailer often and a smaller 10 foot utility trailer. I am coming from a Diesel Volkswagen Touareg with over 400 lb feet of torque. This will be my daily driver. I am not concerned about the money to upgrade the engine but more so whether It is worth it. I really like the power ratings of the 6.2 l but is it that much more noticeable than the 5.3? I don't want this truck to feel "slow" since I am coming from a torquey vehicle.

Thank you

Do you have somewhere you can go and drive both? I have a 5.3 and father-in-law has a 6.2. Trucks are identical otherwise. The difference is definitely noticeable, without giving up much in MPG. Mine is sufficient for my usage but would want the 6.2 if doing much towing, and probably would get it if I were buying again. The recommended premium fuel for the 6.2 is an added cost for consideration, if that matters to you.

3 hours ago, martha3065 said:

Do you have somewhere you can go and drive both? I have a 5.3 and father-in-law has a 6.2. Trucks are identical otherwise. The difference is definitely noticeable, without giving up much in MPG. Mine is sufficient for my usage but would want the 6.2 if doing much towing, and probably would get it if I were buying again. The recommended premium fuel for the 6.2 is an added cost for consideration, if that matters to you.

I appreciate the help. The dealer told me you don't have to use premium. Is that not the case? I would have to drive a few hours to test them both out as my dealer here only has 5.3's. I'd like to own this truck for a long time so I am leaning towards getting the 6.2 due to my towing.

A 2017 off the lot right now, vs ordering a 2018, is a huge difference in pricing. Especially now while they’re trying to blow out leftover 2017 inventory. The 5.3 is more than enough to pull 5k pounds, but the 6.2 will definitely put a smile on your face. Finding a 2017 SLT in stock with a 6.2 would be your best bet for the money imo. You should test drive both to compare the difference yourself before making any commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived