Ford F-150 Awards Just Won't Stop

Gorehamj

A couple of years ago I bought a 5th wheel that the dealer said could be towed by a half ton.  I knew the new Ford aluminum body F150 was saving 700 lbs and assumed that would translate to 700 lbs of higher payload and towing capability.  Not so.  Those increased by less than 200 lbs.  So why didn't the payload and tow increase by that 700 lb?   It had to of been because the frame and underpinnings were weakened.  They didn't have to carry so much weight so could be weaker (and maybe lighter as well since Ford did not say the body was 700lb lighter, just that the truck was 700lb lighter).  In the end no 150/1500 would tow a 9000 lb (loaded) ultra-light 5th wheel without max payload and max tow options and then there was no margin.  I got a 2500 HD gas Silverado.  No payload/tow upgrades.  Basic truck gave me huge payload and tow margins.  So much for the benefits of aluminum.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a lot more Chevy and GMC trucks around here than Fords. Anyway, I drove Fords for years and they were good, solid trucks. Then I drove a 1500 Silverado in 2001 and was hooked. More power, better mileage, smoother ride. I prefer steel to aluminum overall anyway. Plus I prefer the Samsung Note 8 to an iPhone every time. I love the freedom to make a choice that suites me, don't you?

2 hours ago, hclarkx said:

A couple of years ago I bought a 5th wheel that the dealer said could be towed by a half ton.  I knew the new Ford aluminum body F150 was saving 700 lbs and assumed that would translate to 700 lbs of higher payload and towing capability.  Not so.  Those increased by less than 200 lbs.  So why didn't the payload and tow increase by that 700 lb?   It had to of been because the frame and underpinnings were weakened.  They didn't have to carry so much weight so could be weaker (and maybe lighter as well since Ford did not say the body was 700lb lighter, just that the truck was 700lb lighter).  In the end no 150/1500 would tow a 9000 lb (loaded) ultra-light 5th wheel without max payload and max tow options and then there was no margin.  I got a 2500 HD gas Silverado.  No payload/tow upgrades.  Basic truck gave me huge payload and tow margins.  So much for the benefits of aluminum.

I think that something to remember is that 1/2-ton means just that: +/- 1000 lbs effective payload with driver, passengers, and fuel. Ford or GM, it doesn't matter.  The aluminum frame would preclude a 5er anyway but so would a steel frame found in the 1/2-ton GM trucks even WITH max payload. Gotta be a smart shopper with these things. So stop messing with Ford and buy Chevrolet or GMC for goodness sakes!

5 hours ago, DustyC said:

This seems fake, what is holding the fender and the doors together? 

As far as aluminum bodies go... who cares? There have been aluminum body panels on cars & trucks for years. Living in the rust belt, I wish my Chevy was aluminum, at least in the rust prone areas. 

I have a 17 Silverado, a family member has a 16 F150. They are pretty evenly equipped and priced, we both agree that my truck looks better than his, his gets better mileage (3.5 ecoboost), I have peace of mind knowing that my V8 will go for years, he knows his will be rust free for years. If we both keep them long enough, I guess we'll eventually see who made the better choice!

You're forgetting... Aluminum corrodes, steel rusts.... Either way the bodies will go to crap. I gotta wonder if the pics in question are after the jaws of life we're used to extract people from the truck?

On 11/28/2017 at 7:01 PM, racetrk said:

.......the turbos? Really? You’re worried about reliable technology that’s been around for decades?

its not the turbos themselves at fault, its )A the base engine they are attached to and B) the Ford Hype machine saying you will get V8 power with V6 fuel economy; when in reality its completely backwards: where its V6 Power, with V8 fuel economy. because you are trying to move 5,000 to 6,000 lbs of truck (not counting people inside) with a force inducted V6 at the upper limits of its performance and durability. add a heavy trailer, and it compounds the problem.

Archived