Hello all, 

This may be a stupid question but I’ve been on the phone and gone in person to parts counters at my local Chevrolet dealerships and cannot find anyone with an answer. I’m wondering if anyone might know if I can swap the tail lights from a 2018 Silverado into my 2017? I think the 18s look much better but have no clue if they would fit perfectly in. Any information or answers are much appreciated 

Hello all, 

This may be a stupid question but I’ve been on the phone and gone in person to parts counters at my local Chevrolet dealerships and cannot find anyone with an answer. I’m wondering if anyone might know if I can swap the tail lights from a 2018 Silverado into my 2017? I think the 18s look much better but have no clue if they would fit perfectly in. Any information or answers are much appreciated 

There are only (2) types of OEM tail lights for 2014-2018 Silverados that will fit.

First one comes stock on all 2014-2015 Silverados and 2016-2018 Silverado 1500s with the LT package. These use halogen bulbs and are standard on all of the 2500/3500 trucks too.

The second one is a LED set specifically on the 2016-2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ/High Country models.

If you’re looking for the LED set, you’ll need to add some resistors so you don’t get hyper flash.

But both of these will fit 100% on a 2014-2018 Silverado, any model 1500/2500/3500.

1 hour ago, ChevyRoofer said:

There are only (2) types of OEM tail lights for 2014-2018 Silverados that will fit.

First one comes stock on all 2014-2015 Silverados and 2016-2018 Silverado 1500s with the LT package. These use halogen bulbs and are standard on all of the 2500/3500 trucks too.

The second one is a LED set specifically on the 2016-2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ/High Country models.

If you’re looking for the LED set, you’ll need to add some resistors so you don’t get hyper flash.

But both of these will fit 100% on a 2014-2018 Silverado, any model 1500/2500/3500.

I have a 2017 1500 LTZ and no led bulbs where there. I just put some led bulbs for the cargo lamp and they look great,  I also replace the reverse light bulbs for led and I have some kind of interference with the back up camera image any buddy with the same problem

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 10:55 PM, Yordany said:

I have a 2017 1500 LTZ and no led bulbs where there. I just put some led bulbs for the cargo lamp and they look great,  I also replace the reverse light bulbs for led and I have some kind of interference with the back up camera image any buddy with the same problem

Yes I have the same issue, don’t know how to fix it. I heard putting ferrite beads on the backup light wires but I haven’t found ferrite beads small enough to fit on the cables. Have you found a solution?

Yes I have the same issue, don’t know how to fix it. I heard putting ferrite beads on the backup light wires but I haven’t found ferrite beads small enough to fit on the cables. Have you found a solution?
Have you tried putting back the stock bulbs to see if you still get interference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 3:09 PM, SirenRed16 said:

Have you tried putting back the stock bulbs to see if you still get interference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

No, I haven’t tried that. It happened after installing the LED bulbs. I just don’t know if I can add anything like a resistor or something along the cable of the reverse light to prevent the interference.

I installed these today and they did not affect the camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MUF1APW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

My overhead garage door opener stopped responding to the clicker when trying to open/close it when I installed some LED bulbs in it. I called the manufacturer and they said the LED creates EMI (electromagnetic interference). I put back the incandescent bulbs and it worked again. I supposed that some LED bulbs for the reverse lights are doing the same thing, but the ones listed above worked fine.

Edited by ChristopherDB

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 10:37 PM, ChristopherDB said:

I installed these today and they did not affect the camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MUF1APW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

My overhead garage door opener stopped responding to the clicker when trying to open/close it when I installed some LED bulbs in it. I called the manufacturer and they said the LED creates EMI (electromagnetic interference). I put back the incandescent bulbs and it worked again. I supposed that some LED bulbs for the reverse lights are doing the same thing, but the ones listed above worked fine.

Ah okay, thank you for the insight. I’ll look into it.

Hey all! So after extensive research, I’ve figured out what it is. Its called “EMI”, short for electromagnetic interference. Now, one of the common ways to relieve this is adding an EMI filter, also known as a ferrite bead or ferrite choke.

My question is, does anyone know what size the cable is for the reverse lights!? I’ve seen 3MM EMI filters that clip onto the cable, like a laptop charger cord has... but that’s the smallest size. Does anyone know what size the reverse light cable is?

I had thought this issue was due to something else... LEDs are usually flashing very rapidly, and if it’s anywhere close to the shutter speed of the camera, it causes weird artifacts. You’ll see this a lot on YouTube or other places. Same thing can happen with your backup camera.

I imagine the flicker rate is different depending on the brand, or destination market for the bulb. If it’s at just the wrong frequency, maybe that’s what’s causing this.

To illustrate what I’m talking about... I know this is getting in the weeds a tiny bit, but you’ll find that in European countries the cameras on phones are set to a different frequency to avoid the banding and other issues you’d find using a camera set for the US. Up until recently, iPhone cameras didn’t allow the rate to be changed (maybe still don’t?) and people overseas complained about it. Has to do with the power grid being 50hz in Europe and 60 here. The camera is set to compensate for a certain frequency.

One way to see the flicker I’m talking about is to take a camera with high speed capability and turn it up as high as it goes. Then record a few seconds of the LED light being on. When you play it back in slow mo, you’ll see the flickering.

If it’s EMI, I would imagine it would have to be pretty strong. You could probably bring an AM radio near the light to test that theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk