Josephs 1999 Z71 Truck O DOOM!!!

josephballison

Good Morning,

So here is what I have, and what I want to do with it, Pictures will be posted once I am done at work)

1999 Silverado Z71 4x4 with 150,000 miles on it. I am the second owner, the first owner used this truck to pull a racing boat. I am going to divide this into what I know has been done, what I have done, what needs to be done, and what I would like to have done to it.

Specs:
1999 Z71 4x4 (fully loaded for 1999)
150,000 miles
5.3L
There is a transmission and a transfer case (transfer case is iffy)
Something odd and I think it was a dealer add-on. Intimidator Graphics (worn) and a billet grill, I am still researching this because the little blurb I found was a cosmetic package 
All Electronics work

What I know has been done:
Custom Exhaust (sounds great)
Customer Headers 

Cold Air Intake
Shift Kit :(
New Radiator with 2 electric fans
Stupid clear/chrome tail lights
Stupid Clear turn indicators on the front
Snugtop, but no bed liner
Running Boards

What I have done:
Cry
Curse
Drink
Brake Job all the way around, it was desperately needed, truck was very unsafe with what it had on it
Rear Diff (Someone put the wrong gear oil in it many moons ago and destroyed it)
Transfer Case: Flushed transfer case of the gear oil that was in it, inspected and put transmission fluid in. Pin hole leak from the oil plate thing, covered with JB Weld to keep all the fluids in. I am not using 4x4 right now so it should hold for a bit. Internals looks good though.

Fuel Pump
Fixed oil leak on the oil cooler adapter
Changed Oil
Added Gas

What I know needs to be done:
Back half of transfer case
Remove shift kit
Front end. ALL OF IT
New Shocks
Heater Core (redo heater hoses as they have been re-routed....)
Tires (eventually)
Fix the leather seat where it has come apart at the seam
Flush radiator (might not need it but better safe than sorry)

What I would like to do:
Choke the SOB that lied to me about the truck
Replace factory Stereo/Speakers
Replace stupid Chrome/Clear tail lights
Replace clear turn indicators on the front (I have those, just need to do it)

So there it is, will have some photos up tonight for it and I will try to keep track of what is done and document it all for your reading pleasure. Knowing how I work there will probably be some pretty good failures on it.

I do plan to do most of the work myself, but, because this will be out of my garage and the truck has to stay mobile it will be a little bit at a time, and I know that there is some stuff I wont be able to do so it will probably spend a bit of time in a shop as well.

Have a Great Day!!!

I will watch your project.  Where are you located? Truck seems to have little to no rust. That is the major win right there. All the rest is loosen up, remove, replace.

I have owned my 99 since new, so if you need reference info, I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived