I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado LT crew cab that did not come with the tow package. I had uhaul hook up the hitch and wiring but when I hookup my trailers only the right side brake lights work. No running lights or left side brake lights. I took it back to Uhaul and they said it wasn’t on there side and to take it to the dealer. It’s my daily/work truck so I can’t really afford to leave it at the dealer for a day. Anyone ever dealt with this? Any solutions before I take her to the dealer? 

Btw it’s not the trailer lights when I hook it up to my coworkers truck everything works just fine.

U-Haul often uses what are called suitcase connectors to clamp onto your truck's wires - unless they are crimped correctly they are prone to not make good contact. They may have also tapped into the wrong wires on your truck.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, Cslack491 said:

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado LT crew cab that did not come with the tow package. I had uhaul hook up the hitch and wiring but when I hookup my trailers only the right side brake lights work. No running lights or left side brake lights. I took it back to Uhaul and they said it wasn’t on there side and to take it to the dealer. It’s my daily/work truck so I can’t really afford to leave it at the dealer for a day. Anyone ever dealt with this? Any solutions before I take her to the dealer? 

Btw it’s not the trailer lights when I hook it up to my coworkers truck everything works just fine.

BS as I recall the wire bundle is back underneath by where the hitch would go. Just need to find, uncoil the wires and splice as needed.  If you want electric brakes that's another story.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:14 PM, 2017HD said:

U-Haul often uses what are called suitcase connectors to clamp onto your truck's wires - unless they are crimped correctly they are prone to not make good contact. They may have also tapped into the wrong wires on your truck.

AKA, scotchlocs (shudders). Absolute garbage. I'll never use them, ever. My '12 had some tapped into the 7 way wiring at the back of the truck for a 6-way in the box (added by previous owner). I promptly ripped that all out, and sealed up the factory 7-way wiring.

Archived