Quick grinding sound on cold start

Recently, I started to notice a grinding noise after starting my '16 Silverado after its been sitting in the cold over night. It only makes this sound on cold starts. The sound occurs for roughly 1 second or less. It almost sounds exactly like turning the ignition after the engine is already running.

This doesn't happen on cold starts when the weather is warm. Only when it's below 40 degrees and it's been sitting all night.

Anyone know what this could be?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Mine too in cold weather/ sounds to me like the Bendix drive - the starter motor still spinning while it retracts........more energy is drawn by the starter in cold weather could account for more noise. Any noise made for a second or less doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

I’ve got the same issue. They replaced the starter and it still happens. I also had a 2018 loaner and it too had the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know of 3 other people who say they experience the same issue.

I asked a local mechanic who I've dealt with for the past 15 years. He knows his stuff and doesn't depend on a computer to tell him what to do like these new age dealer mechanics.

He said it is the starter and it's due to the mechanism GM uses. I forget the technical aspects but basically it has to do with the way the ignition works. In cold weather it will stay engaged longer than it has to. He said as long as its only for a couple seconds or less, it shouldn't cause any damage.

He did say that a non OEM starter would likely fix the issue but he wouldn't personally spend the money to replace it.

I know of 3 other people who say they experience the same issue.

I asked a local mechanic who I've dealt with for the past 15 years. He knows his stuff and doesn't depend on a computer to tell him what to do like these new age dealer mechanics.

He said it is the starter and it's due to the mechanism GM uses. I forget the technical aspects but basically it has to do with the way the ignition works. In cold weather it will stay engaged longer than it has to. He said as long as its only for a couple seconds or less, it shouldn't cause any damage.

He did say that a non OEM starter would likely fix the issue but he wouldn't personally spend the money to replace it.

Good to know. Like I said, they replaced with a new one (so they say) and it still happens. But it’s still only for like a quick second. That’s the least of my worries.

Good to know. Like I said, they replaced with a new one (so they say) and it still happens. But it’s still only for like a quick second. That’s the least of my worries.

Yea. Mine is only a quick second as well. It only does it on cold starts when the weather is below 45.

I just purchased a 2017 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation. The same grinding/rattling noise comes from under the cab on the passenger side of the truck. Sounds more like emissions to me.  Stops after a few minutes.  Truck runs fine.

We are talking about something else likely. The sound we are talking about only lasts a second or so.

I have owned a 01 Sierra, 03 Suburban, and now a 12 Sierra. They all have made that sound on a cold morning. I though it was something with the 5.3 engine and feared it was metal on metal internally (Poor oil distribution on a cold start) I have never seen anything metallic in the oil though. That makes me feel a little better if it is just the starter. 

On 12/6/2017 at 9:24 AM, Obscenejesster said:

We are talking about something else likely. The sound we are talking about only lasts a second or so.

Yup. Same thing. More pro dominant while standing on the passenger side of my cab. This noise lasts maybe, maybe 30 seconds?  Millions of these trucks on the road at this moment, making the same noise upon start up. Probably find out the day after my warranty runs out, it's some counterfeit part in my oil pan which was manufactured the Ukraine? 

Yup. Same thing. More pro dominant while standing on the passenger side of my cab. This noise lasts maybe, maybe 30 seconds?  Millions of these trucks on the road at this moment, making the same noise upon start up. Probably find out the day after my warranty runs out, it's some counterfeit part in my oil pan which was manufactured the Ukraine? 
I think we are talking about different noises. The noise we are talking about doesn't last anywhere near 30 seconds.

The noise we're referring to lasts like half a second to a second.

31 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

I think we are talking about different noises. The noise we are talking about doesn't last anywhere near 30 seconds.

The noise we're referring to lasts like half a second to a second.

Ok. So I'm at the GMC dealership right now, on Central Ave, Albany NY. I stopped by to take advantage of the free coffee and donuts. And this department manager is having a cow. He says your probably sitting at your table in a trailer park somewhere with nothing better to do than to follow threads/people on GMC related forums?  He says GMC/Chevy trucks do not make this noise period.  He was wrong!

It's 25 °F. We just started up 5 GMC pickups. 3) 2017's, 1) 2016, and 1) 2018 GMC 1500 Sierra pickups.

Everyone with the 5.3 liter engine. Each truck made the same strange noise upon start up. Each noise only varying a few seconds in duration.

The day I purchased my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation, I started 3 different trucks without noticing this noise. Hoping this post helps?