Cargo Light FUBAR

I'll name my next child after anyone who can correct the cargo light. It only works when the truck is in park. It couldn't get dumber if GM tried, Oh wait a minute, my 2011 had to have the dome light on which means you couldn't see out through the Windows to see whatever the cargo light was supposed to let you see. $55K MSRP  AND A CARGO LIGHT THATS IDIOTIC. This also created a SAFETY ISSUE because now you have to stop on the highway, street, or interstate to check the security of the load.  Much safer to simply glance in the rear view mirror. I have been told by 3 dealers that GM won't release the codes to reprogram it. I've got almost 900 miles on it and am going to see if Ford or Dodge has a light that works. Or I think I've got some wire and a toggIe swith out in the shed. $55K so it'd be a damned shame. GM insults drivers with stunts like this. Ford can back a trailer up for those who shouldn't be driving. If you ain't smart enough to stay in your lane, parallel park, or back up a trailer, or TURN A CARGO LIGHT ON AND OFF YOU SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING. I discovered that it didn't work after i bought it because the salesman demonstrated it sitting in the lot. It's just a light I know, but I use a pickup as a pickup almost everyday. I can't express my frustration on this furom but you might read about it on a bathroom wall someplace. $20 and a cold beer for the name of the brain surgeon who designed the function of the cargo light. Works great in the city in the grocery store parking lot. But that's not why I drive a pickup. Sorry if I've offended anyone but today's vehicles simply dummy down drivers. Not everyone use vehicles for social status, some of us actually use the box to. May God Bless my rural life.

Does your truck have the camera in the 3rd brake light? If so can can you see your load in the dark?  If so MVI Inc. https://www.gm-navigation.com/ has a upgraded module so you can use the camera in motion. They also sell the third brake light camera but I don’t know how much ambient light is needed to see with the camera? (I’m actually impressed with how little the back-up camera needs) Guess you could always add a aftermarket bed light with the camera? I feel your pain about the light my 01 2500HD works like it should unlike my 15 1500 it’s annoying but I’m sure GM got sued/fined and that’s why it’s the way it is now...

I'm sure there are many aftermarket options available,, however, my whole point is that when someone purchases a vehicle with an MSRP of $55k and turns the light switch on, the light should come on. Yes, I've heard of the dangers to other road users from driving with a cargo light. Anyone would be hard pressed to actually find that to be a cause of an accident. However, there are many recorded accident involving someone stopped on a roadway. If the light did pose a danger (which it doesn't) GM could simply program it for say maybe a 3 second cycle before a dinger goes off. An indicator on the dash could come on while it's on. I really don't buy the safety deal, I have an extensive background in the safety as well as the fleet management fields.  I'm talking about  turning on the cargo light to quickly and safely glance in the rear view mirror exactly replicating how a driver checks for other road users. Come on, a little common sense please. I'm seriously considering returning the truck based on principle. If a manufacturer has that little confidence in me (the consumer) I don't know if I can continue to subsidize that manufacturer.  Have we as Americans lost the right to even choose when a light comes on ? For those of you who are not driver's I apologize, but for those of us who don't need a vehicle to do what I'm supposed to, it's a sad day.  The Ralph Naders of the world are making dummies of us.  

On 12/2/2017 at 9:43 PM, Brother John said:

I'll name my next child after anyone who can correct the cargo light. It only works when the truck is in park. It couldn't get dumber if GM tried, Oh wait a minute, my 2011 had to have the dome light on which means you couldn't see out through the Windows to see whatever the cargo light was supposed to let you see. $55K MSRP  AND A CARGO LIGHT THATS IDIOTIC. This also created a SAFETY ISSUE because now you have to stop on the highway, street, or interstate to check the security of the load.  Much safer to simply glance in the rear view mirror. I have been told by 3 dealers that GM won't release the codes to reprogram it. I've got almost 900 miles on it and am going to see if Ford or Dodge has a light that works. Or I think I've got some wire and a toggIe swith out in the shed. $55K so it'd be a damned shame. GM insults drivers with stunts like this. Ford can back a trailer up for those who shouldn't be driving. If you ain't smart enough to stay in your lane, parallel park, or back up a trailer, or TURN A CARGO LIGHT ON AND OFF YOU SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING. I discovered that it didn't work after i bought it because the salesman demonstrated it sitting in the lot. It's just a light I know, but I use a pickup as a pickup almost everyday. I can't express my frustration on this furom but you might read about it on a bathroom wall someplace. $20 and a cold beer for the name of the brain surgeon who designed the function of the cargo light. Works great in the city in the grocery store parking lot. But that's not why I drive a pickup. Sorry if I've offended anyone but today's vehicles simply dummy down drivers. Not everyone use vehicles for social status, some of us actually use the box to. May God Bless my rural life.

The problem is it isn't GM. It's the government. I have had this conversation a thousand times where I live because of all the farmers where I am from wanting it to work. So when you go to ford, or Toyota or tonka toy's they are all gonna do the same thing because it is government regulated. 

Here is the best part. Wiring the lights to work is super super simple. 

Get you a water drop toggle switch - http://amzn.to/2APJ0qE

Get some 18g speaker wire - http://amzn.to/2jOxcKZ

Wire it from fuse 10d in the right fuse block to a hot at all time ( The large red wire in connector x1 in the right fuse block. You can test it with a test light to be sure )

And Wallaaaaaa.... You owe me a beer and a click on the like button.  

Brother John,

Thank you for your interest in GM Trucks.com.  GM may or may not read your post.  Keep in mind that GM does not care one iota whether your truck cost $55K or $70K, or even if you bought a truck from them, since they're rolling in dough after their bankruptcy--it is what it is. 

Before your next truck purchase, please do us a favor and make a detailed list of EVERYTHING you want in a truck.  Then go test drive Fords/Rams/Toyotas/Nissans/Hondas/GMs and buy what you need. 

Thank you, have a good day, and God Bless America!

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Brother John,

Thank you for your interest in GM Trucks.com.  GM may or may not read your post.  Keep in mind that GM does not care one iota whether your truck cost $55K or $70K, or even if you bought a truck from them, since they're rolling in dough after their bankruptcy--it is what it is. 

Before your next truck purchase, please do us a favor and make a detailed list of EVERYTHING you want in a truck.  Then go test drive Fords/Rams/Toyotas/Nissans/Hondas/GMs and buy what you need. 

Thank you, have a good day, and God Bless America!

Lol?

Archived