Trouble with the DEF warning msg. Says empty when full

I purchased a new 2015 2500 HD with the Duramax engine. I presently have 67,000 miles and more than half of that towing 12 ft to 36 ft trailers on it with no problems until today. While driving home from a 20 mile trip the DEF warning came on telling me to add. I thought this strange because I had just filled the tank two weeks prior. I purchased another 2 gallon jug and proceeded to fill the tank. After about a quart went in it was full. Needless to say the warning light has not changed. I tried what was recommended on another site to disconnect each battery at the same time for a minimum of 10 minutes. This did not change the warning msg. I have read stories where some people took their similar problem to the dealer and were charged as much as $1,000 for repairs, however some took it in to the dealer and it was covered under warranty.

Has anyone experienced this and what did you go through to get it repaired. I now have the warning telling me that I have only 43 miles before shut down. 

• 1 month later...

I had this and it was a programming bug with the ECM code. The first dealer misdiagnosed it as being a dirty DPF and charged me $140 to burn $40 worth of diesel in service mode. Took it to a second dealer with competent diesel service personnel and they corrected the code and they knew it was corrected as the ECM showed a range of 4500 miles remaining with the DEF.

There was a TSB issued in August of 2011 for this problem and evidently the bad code got reincorporated in your 2015 truck. The days of competent programmers and version control seems long past.

Archived